Trend Micro Anti-Spyware is it good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by edition, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edition

edition Guest

Trend Micro Anti-Spyware

Outstanding spyware detection and removal solution
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware is a comprehensive spyware detection and removal solution, designed especially for home users. Built on technology that has shipped on more new PCs from major computer manufacturers than any other anti-spyware product available, it features solid detection capabilities to help identify and halt attacks before they can cause unrecoverable damage. Unlike other spyware products, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware features thorough cleaning technology to help ensure proper removal of unwanted spyware remnants.

Spyware Detection and Removal
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware quickly scans your PC for known spyware threats against a regularly updated database of potential threats. Should spyware be discovered, easy-to-follow tools help to remove the spyware safely and without interruption to Internet connection.

Real-Time Active Defense Protection
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware’s unique Active Defense monitors your PC for spyware-like tactics, alerting you when spyware is found running in memory or is attempting to install itself. If spyware is discovered, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware gives you the option of allowing or denying access to the suspect program.

One-Click Privacy Cleanup
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware can also help protect your privacy by erasing browser and PC history, temporary Internet files, cookies and other “trackware” files. Trend Micro Anti-Spyware can schedule both history cleanings and supports on-demand cleanings.

Trend Micro CWShredder™
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware exclusively includes CWShredder, widely regarded as the only effective tool to remove the many variants of the CoolWebSearch browser hijack.

Restore Utility
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware protects your PC while removing spyware. Unlike other spyware removal programs, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware creates a backup of the files it removes, allowing for quick restoration if a useful or authorized program has inadvertently been removed.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/produc...te/overview.htm

direct download link removed (as per Trend's license agreement) and replaced with link to overview page - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2005
  2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 which comes with two spyware components - one named Real-Time Spyware Pattern and the other is named Spyware Pattern. You get the Real-time Spyware Pattern when you enable real-time scanning. You probably get the Spyware Pattern when you manually select the Spyware Scan. Spyware scanning can be configured for various items which are included in the Real-time scanning:
    Spyware, Adware, Dialers, Joke Programs, Hack Tools, Remote Access Tools, Password Cracking Applications, and Others.

I have only ever found one or two suspected spyware items which I deleted, but found the Website information wanting. This is before I purchased Spy Sweeper from Webroot.

Trend Micro recently acquired Intermute which is now their main spyware product - CWShredder v2.15 is still free BTW on Trend Micro's website.

Now, since I use Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE, and Spy Sweeper, I never find anything with Trend Micro's Spyware Scan - although they do update the spyware patterns from time to time.

Is it any good? The answer is relative to your needs. I use the above mentioned products as a measure of backup and redundancy, and would not rely totally on the Trend Micro Spyware Scan to keep my system free from spyware and its cousins. In short, it is adequate to a degree, as much as the the Intermute SpySubtract product was/is. Not the best, not the worst.

-- Tom

Note: The spyware patterns mentioned above are separate from the virus scan pattern, network virus pattern, trojan cleanup pattern, anti-spam pattern, and security check pattern in the PC-Cillin product.

3. edition

edition Guest

thank you :)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

They have a free scanner you can use to scan for, and clean, spyware.. may not have any real-time options, but you can at least get an idea of their detection rates. It auto-updates, but deletes itself after use.. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's a nice little freebie to have around. :)

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.