Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Combined with a top score on the just released AV Comparative...

Tons of changes to the back end, including some integration with their server, rack, enterprise aspects. Enterprise level reporting for the consumer, scalable protection levels, and more. One of the biggest improvements is the behavioral blocker. But the best part may be the most gorgeous interface ever. Right now the update is posted for the Trials, but official links are forthcoming.

Here's a look at the design of the final product, which completed testing in August.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/13931361/Trend-Micro-Internet-Security-2015-UI-Design

Disclaimer: I am on the Trend test team.

2. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

Already install this version :) and so far, so good!

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Love the user interface.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Agreed. It was decided to not go the way-of-metro like everyone else, and instead retain professional designers to design something pleasing to complement all of the work done on the inside. I think they accomplished what their goals were, and in the realm of overused, and in my opinion - ugly Metro, this one stands out.

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks for the news. I agree, really beautiful UI.

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

It appears it's only me in this forum who consider the new GUI too plain, too simple. It appears to be a pencil drawing of a five-year old. I don't see any eye candy in it.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

testing it now will post my findings soon

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Looks great. :)

9. zfactor

def not for me. with such a lack of settings in trend 2015 its not one i can use. it auto deletes with no way to stop it. i have already found one file that is a false positive and unless i restore it then add it to the exceptions list it will just keep deleting it. and yes i did uncheck the auto delete that is in the options. it also wants to add 3 separate add on's in both ie11 and firefox. it is pretty light on the system though i have to say. i do not use any av that has no way to turn off the auto delete imo its just super annoying.

i do like the interface though.

10. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

The GUI is damn good. Much better than some of the horrible GUI coming up in few vendors.

Something to learn from

11. snippits

snippits Registered Member

My one year subscription for Trend just ended, and I will not renew. Two of the three computers it was on are full of adware, and Trend sit there doing nothing about it.

I bought Webroot from Newegg for $4.99 for three devices, and installed it. Webroot found and removed the adware. I then installed Avast free to run together with Webroot because they are compatible, and Avast found one left over dll on one of the computers.

In my experience using Trend for the last year, it's not for the click happy users because you will ultimately end up with a computer full of adware. As far as viruses and trojans go, the computers were never infected, and Trend did block a lot of bad websites so a big plus there. But I can't recommend it if it's just going to sit there doing nothing while adware takes over a users system.

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Would it be possible for you to share the details of those adwares. It would be mentioned in quarantine of your current AV.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Nice and professional looking GUI

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I do like the UI. It's uncluttered and easy to read. Does it scale depending on screen resolution? I don't use Trend, but have installed it for a few customers. The main thing I've noticed with previous versions is the install takes a long time and requires Microsoft Visual C++. Does this latest version install faster?

Regarding PUPs ("potential unwanted programs" aka adware) does Trend detect and offer the option to remove these by default? If not can it be enabled to do so? In my experience PUPs can cause serious problems and a security suite needs to be able to remove them.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Installation should be much faster (2-3 minutes), and no external resources should be required.

There is a new spyware/adware engine with 2015. However the nature of greyware is a touchy subject. Often I find it takes 4-5 different products to remove everything on adware infected machines, so this seems to be an evolutionary process with all of these products. I believe Eset has taken a pretty aggressive stance against them, but I find it still doesn't snag them all. It's often a 'clicker' issue, since they generally require your acceptance of terms, regardless of how annoying, or even intrusive they can be - which stinks - I agree. So while 2015 should be a pretty large improvement, I cannot say it will be bulletproof, and I don't think any AV vendor would make that claim. Options to detect/kill PUA/PUP/Greyware are on by default in 2015.

No threats are deleted, they are quarantined. Click the 'Bar' icon on the main screen, go to threats detected, then 'See more about these threats', then select 'Restore', this will add it to the exclusions, and restore the file out of quarantine. It shouldn't ever be a problem again once you do this. FP's should be very very low with 2015, unless you deal with a lot of unknown, unsigned, or beta type of executables, as the authentication/relevance engine might snag those.

16. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi,

One important thing though, does Trend Micro offer offline protection?

If the PC is not connected to the internet, will the behaviour blocker still work?

Thanks

17. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Excellent GUI, and I never say that. I like it so much I may give this a try.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Perhaps we'll see a sale on Newegg.com? :thumb:

19. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Yes, please.

20. Macstorm

Ok I went ahead and installed AV+ last night, 12 hours so far.
    What can I say, installed in about 3 minutes the whole process (the initial 6mb installer file downloads the specific TM installer version you chose, 109mb size in my case) and yes, it still requires the MS Visual ++ but this time it was much faster than previous versions.
    TMAV+ is running great great so far overall on my old laptop. The only thing I didn't like was its toolbar (which rates links and searches in browsers), one of the 3 add-ons installed within InternetExplorer 11. Fortunately you can 'safely' disable this toolbar which doesn't affect the blocking of infected websites.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It looks like it has a great interface :thumb:
    When I checked AV-Comparatives real-world protection test for past few months, TM was an AV with a lot of false positives. What are your experience with FPs when using this AV?

22. Macstorm

As for false positives, they have improved dramatically according to the latest av-comparatives test
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php
    In my personal experience, I never encountered a single FP the times I tried this vendor in recent years.

23. zfactor

i have now restored the same files that it keeps removing at least 3-5 times. they keep getting removed. so if thats is the way its supposed to work then for me its not working correctly. the files also do not show up on the exclusions list.

i would MUCH MUCH prefer a ask option in the first place. honestly if this was done with a option to set to ask i would even consider using it because i do like it

bring in a option to ask before removal and i think you could have a really good thing going...

24. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I will open a ticket about this, and let you know, that's not normal behavior for it. Try adding it manually to the exclusion. It's possible the transition from the quarantine to the exclusion table is bugged. Let me know if manual exclusion works, I know you will be able to add it, I mean if it works based on excluding the file in question from further detection. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

The cloud is only one aspect of the product, there are many layers to the engine (wrapped). The cloud only being one aspect;

Collaborative Detection Engine (Cloud)
    Threat Diagnostic Engine (Sig Analysis)
    Virus Scan Engine (Sig Scan)
    Behavior Engine (Self Explanatory)
    Web Engine (Port80/443 Inspection)
    Trojan Engine (Trojan Sigs)
    Spyware Engine (Spyware/PUA Sigs)
    System Event Engine (Illegal System Changes)
    Program Verify Engine (Shops for Unsigned/Strange Programs)
    Browser Exploit Engine (Looks for Exploits, MTM, etc)
    Script Engine (Looks for Script Threats)
    Network Inspection Engine (Watches for Net Threats)
    Heuristic Inspection Engine (Exactly what it says)
    Simulation Engine (Sandbox Examination of Malware - Flow Through)
    DLL Threat Inspection (Nixes DLL threats)

As for the other issue with it not properly moving files out of quarantine, and adding them to exceptions, I was able to duplicate this, and found a slight problem. If you RESTORE from the quarantine, it restores the file on the drive, and adds an exception to the exception list for that file. But it does not populate this unless you close the program. So in effect it still works, but there appears to be an issue with active population in realtime of the exceptions this. I was able to quarantine, restore, populate, over and over, multiple reboots, several machines, and duplicated this population error. Also note, it only populates that exact file, not threats associated with it, or dependencies. So the workaround right now until it's addressed is to manually add in exceptions, or to populate them from quarantine, then close and reopen the product.

The toolbars can be safely disabled without impacting real security. I disable them myself. I hope the debate resumes about removing them altogether given there are already dedicated web scanning engines (Script, Exploits, Port, URL).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.