tree email view

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikeo1313, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone ever ran across an email program that organizes both incoming and outgoing mail by contact/email + subject or date... In order to be able to better keep coherent track of subjects discussed.

With outlook, simply organizing by sender name or date, isn't enough, when you have allot of mails involved with a certain subject, not to mention you can only be in one folder at a time and have to perform a search every time to address certain issues correctly and have to plow through many emails.

Another interesting option would be for the mail itself to have a specific code within for categorical association since sometimes subject info in a mail can get replaced by responder and can possibly not get associated with the other emails related to it.

Thanks

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Gmail is organized by labels as opposed to folders.
    Since it supports IMAP, you would be able to get the structure you are looking for in Outlook and other email clients with ease.

If you create a label mikeo@mail and a label 'tree email', then a single message would show up under both labels. In Outlook it seems like they exist in both 'folders'.

If you access gmail on the web, you will enjoy the powerful search features of google for searching in your email too.

filter.jpg

When you create filters, the email wil be labeled automatically. And you find them organized when you open Outlook.

Opera's built-in M2 email client does the same: labels.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  3. mikeo1313

Thanks for the info.

I don't think that method will work out that well for me...

none the less... I found this stuff, jik you may want to look into it more..

This blog mentions threadarcs
    http://www.gaborcselle.com/blog/2006/07/how-researchers-are-reinventing-mail.html

this is actual technical paper for threadarcs
    http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/0/7a30ed0aac59bf5d85256d79006f272f?OpenDocument

this is another software
    http://www.everdesk.com/features/details.html

As per the blog link,, supposedly thunderbird does a tree view, and will be giving that a try first to see if it will work out.

Thanks

4. mikeo1313

5. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I don't use it, but Thunderbird has that option

6. wilbertnl

That is correct, Thunderbird offers a feature called 'saved searches'. I'm not sure if it works fast when you search for a subject in all subfolders, though. Probably it works better when all messages are in a single folder.
    Which is the case with gmail (folder [Gmail]/All Mail).

Why would gmail not work, did you give it a try?

How about this:

treeview2.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  7. wilbertnl

8. mikeo1313

I now remember talking to a Microsoft CRM rep once..

They said they custom program the solution.

They said that supposedly they utilize a TRAck ID# within the email.. to be able to have a tree view of sorts.

Though I only wrote it in the subject... Just imagine sending 100's of emails to companies. Then of those hundreds of emails you derive having to being in contact with 2-3 or even more departments of each of those companies...

Meaning more contacts & subjects spawn from this.

SO ... The IBM solution I linked to gives a visual depiction.. of a possible solution.. the last link I put that was a universitary paper, describes the various elements that compromise effective tracking in regards to the different methods programs use.

FRom what I can evaluate up till this point... I need a CRM solution...
    But the intrinsic difficulties described in the paper make it obvious, there isn't currently a solution that addresses all the issues at hand, so I have forgotten of the "perfect" solution.

BUT... I seek a tree view like the windows explorer style ... I know that I won't have to make a new search or pull a new screen ... furthermore,, I cannot place this on an online service... no matter what... this has to reside in house... without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm going to give lotus notes & thunderbird to see how they go about it..

Thanks for the help & comments, I really appreciate it.

9. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

hi Mikeo,
    Have you ever used 'pegasus'? From versions after its initial release, that mail client is noted for extended buildin features. Its typical left-column is tree-based, sorting features was extensive. And it has a very powerfull filter-sets that allows you to manipulate how incoming mail is to be sort via - sender/date/subject-body, etc or combinations of those and further collated to user-specific folders created.

The client has a LIBRE version, thou footprint was quite hugh by most mail-client standards.

wiki link here~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Mail

And for comparison references of major client-specific mailers...
    mail-client comparison reference link, here~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.