Transferring NOD32 from desktop to laptop help please.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by littlewren, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlewren

littlewren Registered Member

Hi,

Could someone possibly help me with this query?

We had NOD32 on our desktop pc (I don't know what version but it was on the desktop pc until about 5 weeks ago). Then the motherboard went on the pc and as it was too expensive to repair, we ditched it.

We now have a laptop and would like to have NOD32 on here. I currently have nearly 4 months remaining on my subscription
    However, this laptop has Norton Antivirus already installed on it so of course I would need to uninstall this first, which I understand is tricky as it spreads little bits all over the computer!

Getting to my main query, can I transfer my remaining 3-4 months subscription of NOD32 onto this laptop? The desktop pc was running Windows XP, this laptop is running Vista Home Premium.

Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks. :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

You can simply install NOD32 to the new PC. As long as you don't exceed the number of PCs you are licensed for at any time you can transfer the license.

To ensure Norton is totally gone use the Norton Removal Tool from here after un-installing in the normal manner.

3. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

4. littlewren

Thankyou very much for your replies. I have a couple more queries:

* I don't know if our Norton Anti-Virus is a free trial, it is on the laptop's desktop & asks me if I want to run it each time I turn on the laptop, but it also came as a standalone package. I suppose the removal procedure is the same if it is a free trial, is it?

* How do I know whether the version I was running on my previous pc was version 3.0 or version 4.0?

I'm really concerned about mucking this up. The computer shop that was trying to fix my desktop pc told me that trying to re-install NOD32 on this laptop after uninstalling Norton could give me problems if Norton wasn't unistalled properly and could actually render the laptop unrepairable. Now I know that he could have been bluffing (as he said he would charge me £15 to install it again safely) but what if he wasn't bluffing and I muck up the laptop? :doubt:

Many thanks again for all your help. :)

5. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

Yes, it's the same procedure. No matter whether trial or full version.

Open ESET NOD32 Antivirus, click Help and then About.

Don't worry, just use Notron Removal Tool. I already use it and everything was fine.

6. littlewren

Hi, thanks for your message but I can't open ESET NOD32 as it was on my other hard drive - that's why I'm hoping to reinstall it on here - so there's no way of knowing which version it was. o_O

7. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

8. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

if you attach your desktop hard drive to another computer, or to your laptop via a USB hard drive enclosure, then go to the program files directory of NOD32 and right click the EGUI file and it will say 3.0.***.* or 4.0.***.* unless you were using 2.7 one of the files in there the properties will tell you that also.

9. littlewren

Thankyou Fixer. If I'd had (unbeknown to me) Version 3 on my desktop and try to download Version 4, what will happen?

ccomputertek, unfortunately I can't do that, as the computer shop wiped everything when they had the computer in for repair.

10. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

Your license entitles you to use any version of NOD32 that you choose to use. Since you have a valid license you will be able to download and install version 4. Program version upgrades are free with a valid license. An example would be if you had version 3 installed and ESET came out with version 4, you would always be able to upgrade to the newest version. You more then likely need the 32 bit version for your laptop. To make sure, right click on "My Computer" which will be visible after you click on the "Start" button. After right clicking on it select "Properties" and you will see general information about your system. If it does not state that it is Vista or XP 64 bit then you have the 32 bit operating system and that would be the version of NOD32 that you would need to download and install. Download version 4 since that is the most current version.

11. littlewren

Thanks very much Ronin for all the information. I will attempt to do it tomorrow, wish me luck! If I get stuck, I'm sure some kind person on here will help, it's a great forum, people are so quick to reply. :) (I'm more worried about getting rid of Norton completely, after the computer guy said that I could damage the laptop by not doing it properly before reinstalling NOD32).

12. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

The norton removal tool can be run from safe mode, make sure you run it from safe mode, to make the uninstallation painless.

13. littlewren

Oh flipping heck, I've never run anything from Safe Mode in 12 years I've been using the computer and would definitely get stuck there! I'm not having much luck here am I. o_O

14. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

15. littlewren

Thankyou for your patience. Please bear with me! :)

Do I do the following:

1. Uninstall Norton Antivirus in the Add/Remove Programs - it is a 60 day trial by the way. (Do I need to uninstall this in Safe Mode too or will it not let me?)

2. Before I do this, do I click on the link for the Norton Removal Tool and save it to the desktop?

3. If so, do I then re-start the laptop in Safe Mode and then click on the Norton Removal logo on the desktop? If it successfully works, am I able to shut down the laptop the usual way or will it not let me because it's in Safe Mode.

Sorry about all this, you can tell I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to things like this can't you!

Many thanks,

Carrie :)

16. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

17. littlewren

Thankyou very much Fixer, I have just used the Norton Removal Tool and the Norton logo has disappeared from my desktop so hopefully it's all gone.

But now I don't know how to download NOD32 again without having to pay for it! If I go to the main page it asks me if I want a free trial or to purchase it, but I have an outstanding subscription with them which runs until November.

Your urgent reply would be much appreciated as I need to have an anti virus program back here.

Thanks very much,

Carrie :)

18. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

Without pay for it? You can use free trial version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security for 30 days.
    http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download_int.php

Before that, make sure which version you must download - 32 bit or 64 bit.
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN523&actp=LIST_POPULAR

Finally, follow these instructions:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2136&actp=LIST_POPULAR
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1251106716042

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Carrie,

This should be fairly straight forward provided you have the User name and Password that was contained in the initial e-mail during purchase. Have a look at the below knowledgebase article for Nod32 Antivirus. When you select the item you desire, fill in the required User name and Password info and the download should start.

Installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus (4.0)

Nod32EAV.JPG

20. littlewren

Hi Fixer, thanks for your post and links, no I didn't want the free trial as I had already paid for a subscription for the one on my desktop. I just wanted to continue this subscription.

Thanks Bubba for all the info, that also really helped big time, I have finally - thanks to everybody's help on here - uninstalled Norton and reinstalled NOD32 - yaay!

(Although when I do a search, there is still one Norton Windows Command Script showing in NIS C://System, even though I used the Norton Removal tool). Does this matter? If so, how do I get rid of that one? Blooming Norton!

21. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Just for the record you could have downloaded the trial version and installed it but then used the Username and Password you got with your paid for license. After an update it'll become the full version.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And sometimes there are threads, that actually show how a support request will work if consumers just take the time to listen to those who know. Kudos to Fixer and Bubba.:thumb:

23. littlewren

Thankyou Paul, for the information. Everyone on here has been so helpful and also showed me what to do in plain speak, not too technical! :)

However, I now have another flipping problem that I know I shouldn't post on here as it's not the correct forum, but maybe someone has had the same problem?

It's user error, but I don't know what to do about it. My daughter's laptop now has NOD32 up and running & all fine, so I said I would connect a router to it so that she could use it elsewhere in the house. Big mistake.

I bought a Belkin router from Argos that said I would be 'up and running to a wireless internet in 3 minutes. Yesterday, I spent 2 and a half hours trying to sort it out. I got through the installation process ok, set up security, then when I went to connect to the Internet, it wouldn't and a 'x' showed proving that I wasn't connected. In the end, I had to give up and I told my daughter that she would have to use it as it was (wired connection) until we found the problem (or what I had done wrong, more like).

But.....I now can't get it to connect to the Internet, even though I have switched 'wireless' off. I have been through Network Diagnostics and everything and something tells me there is probably a simple solution but of course I don't want to fiddle around and make things worse!

The error message I get is: The network adapter Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP configuration. Change the settings for the network adapter Local Area Connection.

I haven't a clue what to change the settings to or what my IP address is......or anything!

I feel really guilty, as it's not even my laptop and she wanted to use it in some shape or form connected to the Internet. Now I've b******d up the connection to Broadband on her laptop.

I even contacted Belkin through their Live Chat yesterday (to try and get wireless working) but although the man was advising me what to click on to try and find the problem, I couldn't because our cable modem wire is connected to this pc so of course I couldn't also connect it to the laptop.

I don't care about wireless now, I just want to get her reconnected to Broadband on her laptop. :oops:

Aaaaargghhhhhhh.... :(

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Correct :) but fret not, We have other forums that members can assist you in with the understanding it's early and responses might be a little slow ;)

I'll suggest you start in our software & services forum and consider simply reaching a point where We can get that laptop re-configured and attached to the Internet by itself via the cable modem. Then you could start a thread in our hardware forum and members can assist you with the setting up of your router.

Discussion of that type would indeed be off topic to this Eset Support forum and would eventually cause us to move it anyway.

25. littlewren

Many thanks (again) Bubba, I have now posted in the software and services forum and I will wait and see if anyone can help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.