transfering

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

good morning all
    I am about ready to get my new computer(next week)so would someone tell me how i can take stuff that i want to keep from the old ones and transfer it to the new one?Do i use floppy disks or how do i do it?It will take me at least 2 weeks to save everything i want to save,I'd like to get this task done before i get the other one.After someone tells me how to save the stuff,when the time comes i'll have to find out how to put it on the other computer.I feel so dumb,not knowing how already.thanks alot
    rita

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Hi rita, perhaps you can make some backup copies of your programs first to prevent accidental data loss. You could try saving your most important programs to floppy disks or CDs and then transfer them over to your new comp.

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Morning Nadirah
    I thought i could put everything on floppy's and then transfer it but i wasnt sure.thanks for replying.you have a good day :)
    rita

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Ritaann :)

So, finally about to get the new PC hey!! :D

Don't you have a CD burner in old one. It won't take much with CD's being able to contain upwards of 750Mb.

Floppies, phew, at only 1.45Mb you will need a truck load mate.

Anyhow, wishing all the best on transfers mate.

When you get the new one I presume you will have a burner in it then, and constantly make copies of files to keep as backups.

Cheers, TAS

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Ritaann,

TAS is right of course, if you have a CD burner in the old machine, that will be the easiest way to transfer. There are other ways like setting the two up on a LAN with file sharing or a Direct Connect USB cable. But these will be harder to set up then just copying to CD.

Congrats on the new box!

6. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Hi ritaann,

....and some Zip disks/Drive, if you have one, as another choice, if your new computer has one. Maybe somone has a portable backup drive you could borrow and install temporarily on both computers?

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Tas
    no unfortunely i dont have a cd burner on here but i will on the new one :D I guess i'll just have to have a truckload of floppys :'( will take me weeks to put stuff on them too.thank you for the good wishes too.will be glad to get rid of this computer
    rita

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks Devinco
    I need the easiest way possible to do this,with my very limited knowledge :D I do wish i had a cd burner--oh well ill just have to go the ole floppy route.Thanks for replying
    rita

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Steverio
    thanks for replying.have a good day
    rita

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Another solution would be to remove the old hard drive and install it as a temporary second hard drive in your new PC. Then you will be able to transfer what you want quickly. Not hard to do, but it would be best to find someone to do it for you, like a local computer shop or college computer lab.

Nick

11. Devinco

Excellent solution nick s!! :)

12. darkmatter

darkmatter Registered Member

You could also use a usb pen drive. There cheaper now than what they used to be and come in varying sizes upto 1 gig.

The hardest bit would be installing the drivers for windows 98, no drivers required for 2000 or xp, at least on the ones ive seen.

Most of the new ones are usb 2 but backward compatible with usb 1.1 so should work fine if your new system is usb 2.

13. Devinco

Yet another good solution DarkMatter. Rita's old machine has ME so it should work.

Rita,
    Seeing how you were having an issue here, I would use caution when transferring files over from the old computer. Treat any floppy/CD/USB drive/Hard drive transferred from the old computer as if it was infected. Scan all files you bring over thoroughly with updated signatures especially executable programs. You may want to put the TDS-3 trial or BOclean on the new machine too. Trojans can slip past NAV quite easily.

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Devinco
    thanks for reminding me.i hope to get the other issue fixed soon.If and when i do i'll never download another screensaver.system was clean yesterday so i know that had something to do with all the mess
    rita

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

what about this wizard thing on xp. i dont know anything about it, but im sure someone else will

Attached Files:

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi IC
    I dont have windows xp now but will have soon.this looks interesting maybe it will help me when i get the new computer.glad you brung it to my attention and hope someone comes along and tells us about it
    rita

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Rita,

If I were you I would only transfer data files and not applications because the apps. might not work on your new XP machine or messes up the registry. So I would advise to install apps again and download the free ones fresh.
    You also can make a Yahoo mail account with you can send up to 100 Mb data in e-mails (max. 10 Mb attached to one e-mail I think) and have them send back later.
    Just my 0.02

Gerard

18. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Rita,

Considering your situation, I've tried to find a good page for you based on your description of your computer knowledge.

This should provide a very good start for you to empower yourself, but only if you slow down your posting here and do some reading. Don't worry, members and guests are watching this thread in order to assist you.

Visit this page, and put yourself in the driver's seat ;) !

Don't forget, all you want to move at the moment is data. Like Gerardwil said, you can fresh install your programs later...

GF

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi global force
    i always read everything i can to try and learn something..what do you mean slow down my posting and read more.i bet i read as much as anyone here and more than most.I am an avid reader,always have been,just never read about computing stuff till in the last months but i will continue to read and learn
    rita

20. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I did not mean to imply anything here Rita, I've also been computing for only a few months.
    Sorry if my words were taken incorrectly, they were not meant to be :doubt:.

Tell me, was that page useful?

GF

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Yes global Force
    this page was very useful.i bookmarked it.thanks alot for the link
    rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.