Transfer of "My Account" to new keycode

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by poo bear, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poo bear

poo bear Registered Member

Hello all.

I have put Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete on 3 home computers and many family and friends machines as well.

All who use it love it for it's reliability and simplicity.

However I have encountered a problems that requires me to contact support evert time I renew using a retail package keycode, having bought a few at a very good price.

The new keycode which I apply using the add new keycode tab in My Account does not link automatically leaving me unable to use the Password Manager feature and Backup feature.

As I said Support does sort it but is there a better way to add a new keycode and subscription that gets around the problem encountered?

Thanks.

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Password Management is linked to a combination of Login ID + Keycode, so while the new retail box may be a steal price-wise, the low price comes with the inconvenience you've experienced.

The sad news is that a lot of the great prices historically have actually been literal steals (stolen or illegitimate product) (and note, not all of them are). Webroot ended up having to lower their own online prices to compete with the stolen stuff. "But at least we'll finally make money when the customer renews!" they said. Then... Nope. No income as people just keep swapping out retail keys.

So at least for a while, there was no way for the password management to be transferred at all, thus the answer to "Why should I pay so much to renew?" was "So you don't lose continuity on your extra services and have to re-set everything up." It worked quite well, but then there were some legitimate reasons for transferring things, so support got that ability. That means no easy answer of "sorry, that's not possible", so they do do it now.

So yeah, I just look at it as "Renewing is paying for the convenience of seamlessness, but you have the option to plug in another cheap keycode and forgo that seamlessness if you prefer to save a buck and do things by hand."

4. poo bear

poo bear Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no offense but thats a somewhat poor answer. i buy my retail boxes from newegg whenever they are on sale among many others and they are LEGIT and cheaper than almost anywhere since they are FREE. i do understand about the issues with some of the previous best buy stuff but people like myself have NEVER "renewed" any av ever. i ONLY use retail boxes that i get from either stores like staples, newegg, office depot, tiger direct, fry's, etc etc i look for the deals on those and buy up the limits (example is newegg may do like a limit of 5 per person for that particular sale) and i keep them on hand. i think i have maybe 150+ boxed copies of various avs on hand. so to say it was because of the stolen copies imo is not a good excuse for them not doing it previously. and please know i use webroot and love it i recc it to most of my clients (and i also have a account with a webroot distributor who i use for my clients i do NOT resell boxed copies i buy for me or my family). again i did not mean this to be offensive to anyone i love webroot and they have gained MANY MANY customers because of my recc's to clients. and to friends and family i will ALWAYS recc to them to get a deal on something if it is a LEGIT deal and dirt cheap before paying more for the same product.

6. Techfox1976

Just like firework bans because too many people burnt things down, everybody will have something to deal with because of the stupidity of the few. I guess a curious question is: If there were -zero- "Great deals" on Webroot and the normal prices were everywhere with occasional value-added stuff, would you stop using it? Is it not worth $40 or $80 a year to you?

With the great deals, you get what you pay for. That's with everything's great deals. Get a great deal for new customers and you become a "new customer", so just like a new customer you start with nothing. All of your scan history and monitoring history is lost when you install a new keycode. You have to have a new extras account or work hard to try to get it transferred, assuming they will even continue to if the demand gets too high and costs them too much. Introductory offers are just that, and if you really want to be a "new customer" again, then fine, deal with being a completely new, blank customer.

7. zfactor

to me no av is worth 80$ never would pay that much for any brand... and again they should then say there will NEVER be any webroot sales out side of their own website if that is the case. sadly is the case even in my old industry of car audio where there was a TON of transhipping. but then if a company like jl audio or rockford etc said we will not honor ANYONE'S warranty because of the transhipping they would have gone out of business very quickly. sadly it happens but thats the nature of the world today and a company can deal with it as they should or make everyone pay for it by punishing every buyer even legit ones of their product lines. when that happens most of the time i move myelf and customers away from the brand.

and as far as fireworks we have HUGE stores right down the road from here. so you can walk in and buy whatever you want here including morter shells. now shooting those off can get you in trouble but not buying them. but this is not about fireworks. and again if this is the case every LEGIT customer gets punished for a few peoples stupid mistakes and as a business that should not at all be what happens.

also you say value items i ALWAYS look for deals. i never pay full retail for anything except maybe food items and even then ill see whats on sale and drive to the store across the street to get chicken or beef if its much cheaper. and if that item is not on sale at the time i will wait for it to go on sale find a discount code or wait till the next model comes out and get it at near half price many times because its last years model. so no i would never go and pay full price for anything im in business and have been for a LONG time and we have 4 different types of business and thats the way of the world today we deal with the customers every day who come in and say amazon has it for this or newegg has it for this and if we want the sales we can say YES or we can loose a sale no two ways about it. i dont blame those customers because i do it as well. it is business today and companies can adjust their way of doing business and makes sales or they can die a slow death. web prices continue to drive retail prices down all the time. heck you can get a 65" tv now for under 800$ try to do that 3-5 years ago and it would not happen.

8. Techfox1976

Sometimes a reduced price comes with some downsides. The cheap meat might be expiring tomorrow and need to be used or frozen immediately, for example.

Can't really say that anything Webroot is "Last Year's Model" either. It's a license key for 1 year of current stuff service. So there's no "last year's stuff being discounted".

The cheap Webroot deals bear the downside of "Comes in the form of a new keycode, so you lose continuity." At least it's not like the old days, when an account was a Keycode first, and an email address after. Back then, new keycode meant you had to get a new email address, since the current one was already in use.

Do you really intend to stop using Webroot if you can't demand and get an extra feature that is not needed if you renew? There are plenty of renewal discounts too, so there's really no good reason to consume limited resources to make the feature, especially since it would be a complete redesign of the way the agent operates. I'd rather see resources go to making the product better than to trying to fix a "problem" created only by looking for savings. And deciding that you'd stop referring people to Webroot just because of that kind of thing would not be doing your friends any favors. In fact, threatening or hinting at such a thing just seems somewhat pretentious.

Overall, I see it similar to a demand that mail-in-rebates just be taken off up front instead because the mailing in is inconvenient to you.

In any case, the situation is simple: You can say you'd like the feature. Leave it at that afterward and I will as well. Don't try to "blackmail" into getting a feature ("Give me this feature or I will do X bad to you!"). Then know that they have seen the request and will take the whole big picture company-wide into account. Cost, benefit, everything. For all you know, there could be hundreds of thousands of people like me who are happy to pay a discounted renewal cost because of that feature and the $10 extra the company gets from each one of those will easily make up for a few hundred or thousand that you would no longer refer. There are so many factors involved that we can't see that all you can do is ask and then be still.

9. zfactor

again no offense but you still miss my point. this is my last post on this topic. ive been in business for almost 15 years and know how things work....and i never "blackmailed" webroot. i simply said *IF* they stopped selling retail and decide to jack the prices up to the 80$ you mentioned i would no longer be interested or would sell it at that price. so please do not put words in my mouth. i use webroot to this day and still recc it. i still feel it is not "fair" to punish those who bought a RETAIL packaged product regardless of the price.

okay so one walks into staples and pays 80$ for a new RETAIL box and doesnt get the feature because they did not renew... o_O thats my point regardless of price. if its a LEGIT retail box they should get everything a renewal gets.

it works either way.

10. Techfox1976

Well, that's the thing:
    A new retail box gets a new, empty "Extras" account (Keycode + Email). A renewal doesn't get a new Extras account, but you can get that "feature" by deleting all your backed up files on the cloud and all your saved passwords. So both are already equal. The renewal technically doesn't get a "feature". It technically -avoids- a feature of the new retail key that would not make sense to remove in general for all of the normal retail new users. (And honestly, if you want to call it getting a feature, then yes, different "products" (renewal vs new key) for the exact same price can have completely different features legitimately. That allows the consumer to make a choice on what feature they want.)

You're asking them to make a "Transfer my extras account content to another extras account" feature, that -neither- of them get right now and a new customer of any type does not need because they have no extras account content to transfer. So that really is asking them to make a completely new feature to effectively remove an existing feature.

And, as I said, there is -zero way- to tell if it's a legit retail code. But we do know there are tens of thousands of not-legit ones out there and even many that people thought were legit on this forum ended up not actually being legit. So they'd be making a feature that could easily be abused by people with illegitimate codes to remove a normal feature from the product for some people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.