tracker

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by hi ho sliver, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Guest

I installed spyware blaster and it is getting rid of all but one? "redsheriff" How and what is that, and how do I get rid of it? thanks

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm well keep in mind that SpywareBlaster blocks installation of spyware; but doesn't get rid of it. Can you tell us how you are finding redsheriff?

With a little more clarification we'll get you sorted, and welcome to Wilders by the way!

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi hi ho sliver :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Take a look at this link,

http://www.cexx.org/sheriff.htm

Spywareblaster can't stop it but this can,

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

Hope this helps.

snowbound

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Sorry Detox :)

We were posting at the same time. ;)

snowbound

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Don't be sorry; I think your post is prolly gonna be more helpful anyway ;)

6. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Guest

I found it twice with adaware

7. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Guest

thanks for the welcome! I went to a search and brought up redsheriff and it has a place to opt out...I did so and it said successful, but the next time I ran adaware it was still there, might not have got up yet! The last time I ran adaware however it came up clean....so don't know! I am not well versed in computers and that is an understatement! LOL but it galls me that those suckers think they should be able to come into my home (computer) and help themselves!! what differentiates them from thieves and burglars? Nothing in my opinion!

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I definitely agree with you about the purveyors of spyware... They are definitely bottom-class.

Anyway; if you are picking it up; it has to be from a certain site that was visited. If you are clean from here out, perhaps it was in a recent update of SpywareBlaster, or you simply have not visited the site which is sending it over. IESPYAD, which Snowbound linked to, is definitely a good thing as well since it is not a program that runs in the background (thus saving resources) either.

9. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Guest

I don't know what the connection is..if there even is one...but this morning I had a virus infection! Not just one...but mydoom, sobig, mimailI and mimailJ klez, bagel and a du something or other? when I ran avg 6.0 it said it "quarantined" them, doesn't that mean they are still in my computer somewhere? How do I get rid of them if thats the case? sorry...told you I was a computer dummy! thanks Dave :p :D

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

There shouldn't be any connection.

Do you run a firewall?

I would think that AVG should have you clean, if you feel unsure try another scan with AVG and see what it says. If it comes clean and you still want to doublecheck, then you might try Trendmicro's Housecall scan.

11. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Guest

Yes apparently it was clean after that first infection, but I just finished going thru the whole thing again with the same bunch!! I also ran a check today and found 3 trackers! I thought spyblaster was going to stop that? there were two " IWon" and one that said "tracking cookie" ??

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm well do bear in mind that SpywareBlasters "cookie" blocking function only works if you are using Internet Explorer 6 and up - not below. You might check your version there.

Now, are you saying you got those same worms/viruses over again?

Also, I must ask again whether you are running a firewall. In the case that you don't know what one is, then surely you are not and you really need to check out the main page of www.wilders.org to see what firewalls are.

13. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Guest

I have IE 6...yes, I had the virus twice today! and I have zonealarm

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm do you have AVG set to act as resident also?

Maybe you could be missing a few Windows updates?

15. hi ho sliver

hi ho sliver Registered Member

I don't know what set as resident means? how do you do that? Last night I downloaded wormguard and this am had virus warnings in the email, but deleted and blocked as usual and doesn't seem to be a problem right now??

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Resident just means that AVG is "watching" all the time; when you open AVG from the desktop icon, the second box down is called "resident shield." Hopefully you'll be clean now :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.