Tourists, Pictures, Facial Recognition

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Rigz, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I live in an area where most places I need to go on a daily basis are in walking distance therefore my car stays parked at home and I walk. I also live in somewhat of a tourist destination.

One evening, as I was walking home, I noticed people across the street from where I was walking pointing their cameras (phones) in my direction and taking pictures. They obviously weren’t purposely taking pictures of me and were more interested in the historic mansion I was walking past, but it got me thinking about how often this occurs, and that all of these pictures will eventually end up on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google, etc.

How many pictures are there of me across all the various social networking services that these tourists use to share their lives? We already know that there are surveillance cameras watching our every move but now our pictures are being posted all over the Internet by regular people too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Yes. There're all at it, in an obviously non-consensual way. Mirrored sunglasses and a hat are your friend....

In a related snippet, see:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/06/using_social_me.html

There's a big element of Schadenfreude with that I have to say, and to an extent, the damage is self-inflicted by family.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.