Totally Ignorant Question Re: Appguard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by UsenetBum, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UsenetBum

UsenetBum Registered Member

Appguard keeps my browser from downloading anything from the Web.

How come when I place a news reader or Stream Transport into its 'guarded' state, they still can download? The news reader can download from Usenet groups. Stream Transport can still download videos from the Web.

In simple terms, what ain't I understanding?

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Appguard should keep any new file from installing or modifying anything on your system while running as guarded. It will not allow an executable to run from "userland" unless it is in the guarded list while in lockdown mode. Guarded mode means that the application that is guarded cannot alter the system in any way but it will run isolated from the rest of the system preventing any harm.

3. UsenetBum

I still do not understand why my browser cannot download anything, but my Usenet program can download pics, music, etc.. Also, Stream Transport, which I have guarded, can download videos yet.

Why can the latter two download, while the browser cannot?

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Check where your browser is set to download to. As a guarded application, it will not be allowed to write to any folder that AppGuard considers to be in System Space but it should be able to write to a folder in User Space. By default, User Space consists of your user profile plus any additional, non-system partitions.

If your download folder is in System Space and you want to keep using that folder for downloads, add the folder as an exception to the list of folders that guarded applications are allowed to write to.

5. UsenetBum

Well, I went into the Appguard Customize User Space menu and allowed my browser to download to My Documents...Downloads. It then could download to that space.

Could it be that the reason that Stream Transport and my newsreader have no trouble downloading is because they are downloading to an external drive which is not System Space?

?

Thanks for answering.

6. UsenetBum

I found that Transport Stream when guarded cannot download to C: unless I set Appguard to allow it to do so in the download folder.

I guess I answered my own question. The "guarded" apps can download "without permission" to the external drives, which are outside the "System."

Gawd! How I hate programs which forece me to read the Help file. :eek:)

Thanks again.

7. UsenetBum

Well, after figuring that out, I now find that the dang program does not remember my settings from one boot to another. It reverts back every time to the original "guarded" programs it had at installation. It even forgets which directory I okayed for downloads. There are other nonsense things I'm finding that are very annoying. I downloaded this thing because they said it didn't take any great knowledge nor effort on the part of the user to use. What a crock that is! It's history. I'm getting rid of it. I think a sandbox type program would be easier to use than this one.

Anyway, thanks to the two who tried helping me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.