Totally confused over how to use Paragon B&R 10.2

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Vic5491, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vic5491

Vic5491 Registered Member

Please bear with me. I am sure I am not the only one confused of the issues I will mention here...

I have three machines that I need to protect from catastrophic failure. Prior to now I have been using Stomp's BackupMyPC 5.0 backup software but since they are out of business, and I recently purchased a new Win7 machine, I decided it was time to change over to new BU software that I could use on all three boxes. I am hoping to use Paragon B&R 10.2 Free on all three going forward but my initial attempts to make sense of how to use it has led to a great level of confusion. I am hoping someone can give me some simple step by step guidance on how to protect all three boxes using it. I have two external usb backup disks to bu data to.

Machine 1 is a desktop running XP Pro that I seldom use anymore but that has lots of important data on it that I cannot afford to lose. This machine has two internal Hard Drives with a combined 90 GB of space. Between the two drives, I probably have 50-60GB of programs and data on them.

Machine 2 is a 6 year old Toshiba laptop running XP Home that has been my primary machine for the last few years. It has lots of important data on it, including important OE6 email, that I cannot afford to lose.

Machine 3 is a new Toshiba laptop with a 320 GB drive and Windows 7. I have yet to install any programs on it but will begin doing so in the next day or so. I used the Windows 7 Recovery program to create recovery DVDs of this machine when new so I can restore it to its original "just out of the box" condition should I need to later.

Initially I would like to create a full backup of each machine using 10.2 that would allow me to fully restore each, including data and programs, should I have a catastrophic failure on them. I want to be able to simply install a new hard drive, run a full restore and have my machine back just like it was before the crash. How do I do this? I am very confused over terminology, whether to do an Image Backup or a Full Backup, what settings and filters to use, etc.

Once I have full backups of each, I would then like to be able to do incremental or differential backups every so often so I could each box to a "just before crash" condition? I would envision doing a new full image every once in a while and starting the cycle over.

If someone would please tell me the best way to protect these machines and their data and programs in a simple step by step manner, I would be greatly appreciative. The more I read the manual and online help, the more confused I seem to be becoming.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Cheers,
    Vic

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Vic,

Use Backup Disk or partition wizard to create backup full first backup task for each PC.
    First of all, you should decide where to keep backups: maybe it will be one external drive for all PCs/ separate backup drives/ or internal HDD on each PC will be used as backup storage.

How to use Backup Wizard:
    * Run B&R 10 Free
    * Go to Wizard - Backup Disk or Partition
    * In the first window click Next
    * then select what to backup = Basic Hard Disk 0 (where laptop system partition is connected) and Basic Hard Disk 1 (for machine one only). click Next

Backup Wizard1.jpg

* select backup destination : Local/network drive and click Next

Backup Wizard2.jpg

* Set exact destination: select what partition to use for backup storage and set folder name, click next

Backup Wizard3.jpg

* select Backup now and click Next

Backup Wizard4.jpg

* review the summary and click Next

Backup Wizard5.jpg

(see next post)

3. Mech_An

* Then click Finish

Backup Wizard6.jpg

* Press Apply to perform changes.

Backup Wizard7.jpg

4. Mech_An

The next step is to schedule differential backup (note: first full backup should be already completed)

* Go to Wizards - Advanced - Differential Backup

Diff1.jpg

* In the wizard window click Next
    * Select just created base archive to use and click Next

Diff3.jpg

* keep all objects selected and click Next

Diff4.jpg

* choose save data to local/network drive and click Next

Diff5.jpg

* set exact destination (you can use full backup folder for this purpose, then all diff backups will be placed in separate folders inside full backup folder)

Diff6.jpg

( see next post)

5. Mech_An

* Then select Schedule backup and click Next

diff7.jpg

* Set how often to backup

Diff9.jpg

* Set time and uncheck Generate unique names if you want to keep only one recent diff backup only.
    Then click Next

Diff10.jpg

* Review summary, click Next and Finish

Then navigate to Scheduled tasks tab and you will see your backup task for diff archive creation.

Diff12.jpg

Please make sure that in backup time destination will be always available

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  6. Vic5491

Wow! Thanks a million for taking the time to help! I will try to follow your guidance tomorrow. I really do appreciate your help!

I hope your detailed post helps many others as well. I am sure I am not the only one confused over all of this.

By the way, what is the difference (if there is any) between a full backup and an image?

Vic

7. Mech_An

Vic,

Full sector-level backup is equal to image.

There are 2 main types of backup:
    1 sector-level (disk or partition) = image
    1.1 differential (only changed sectors from full sector backup (1))
    1.2. incremental (only changed files from last full sector backup of last incremental backup)
    2 file level backup
    2.1. incremental (only changed files from last full file-level backup (2))

8. Vic5491

I know you must thing I am dense but I am still confused. Thanks to your guidance I was able to get a full backup (bu) and a differential bu. I verified the archive integrity of the full bu and it checked out.

Now I want to restore one file to a temp folder on my desktop but can't for the life of me figure out how to do that. The file I want to restore from the full bu is "outlook.pst" and I know where it is located on my hard drive. When I go into the transfer files wizard and select the "Full Backup" folder from my external HD, I find the main archive and the differential archive but cannot get down to the file level to tell it what file I want to restore. Can you please help me with this? Once again, I would appreciate your guidance.

Regarding the different types of backups, I don't find the types you mentioned. Where do you find, for instance file vs image backups? Which should I be using?

Again, I am using the Paragon B&R 10.2 Free and simply want to be able to totally restore my system to a new HD should mine fail (Operating system and files) but would also like to be able to extract and restore select files as needed.

Thanks again for your help!

Vic

PS. In the past I have used BackupMyPC 5.0 from Stomp and did not find it nearly so confusing. It probably was not as good as the Paragon program but doing a full or incremental backup and a total or individual file level restore was quite simple. Were they still in business and had a product that would run on Windows 7, I would likely still be using their product due to its ease of use. I hope with time that I will understand the Paragon software as well.

9. rtp

rtp Registered Member

I also found the help section very poorly written.

To restore file(s):

Open Restore Wizard
    Select an Archive

Click on Plus signs in boxes to open nodes. Work your way down to your file. Click on empty box to place checkmark beside file(s).
    Remember to open extended node (if you have an extended partition on computer)
    Click Next
    Chose location to restore file
    Next Apply

Note: the files will appear as disk_[Drive letter from backup]\[Full Path]\Filename

example
    I restored YahooStocksURL.rtf to B: It was originally in D:\Temp\YahooStocksURL.rtf
    It restored as
    B:\disk_D\Temp\YahooStocksURL.rtf

The free program only does full and differential backups on used sectors (All deleted data is lost). It does not mirror drive (only mirrors sectors that have data), nor does it do file backup. I purchased Paragon 9 for File backup but was very disappointed in time required. I always do disk defrag prior to full backup and make sure there are no auto defrags scheduled. Defrags will cause large differential backups.

I use FreeFileSync http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/. It is very fast synchronizing program (no compression). I use it to backup all my important data (data that I use on daily basis). Since there are no archives it is very easy to restore files. The comparison of directories is very fast. The time to copy is dependent on the amount of files changed. Batch files (Synchonize many directories at once) can be created and then you just run the batch file for complete automation. I use Paragon for MMR and Track0 and my system + program partitions and FreeFileSync for my Data partition. Use two batch files; one for my daily files (run several times/day) and a whole partition (run once a week)

This was a project I decided to do to verify that I could backup existing drive and restore to a new hard drive.

Restore Hard Drive Image to a New Hard Drive

Have two hard drives in cmpt; HD0 (Restore, System + Programs, Data partitions) and HD1 (used for backup), and one USB drive (Backup). Plan was to backup HD0, simulate a failure of HD0 and restore archive to a blank HD1.

Since HD1 is smaller than HD0, I shrunk the HD0 partitions so they would fit on HD1. Used Partition Wizard (good from XP to Win 7 64 bit)

Made full backup of HD0 using default settings to USB Drive.

Removed all partitions on HD1 (same as new hard drive). This step probably not necessary.

Turned off computer.

Disconnected power from HD0. This prevents any changes to boot manager. Did not want to boot with two disks, each with an active operating system.

Now I have "new blank drive installed" with the old drive disconnected.

I started computer with the Paragon boot cd.
    Planned to restore only operating system but this feature was not available on the cd version of program. It would only restore a complete archive.

Selected Restore Wizard from menu.

Selected the archive.

Selected the location to restore the archive to. Click on map on the location (new hard drive). Note the double dotted line filled with yellow that outlines the disk. This indicates the selected object. (If restoring a small partition instead of entire disk, it is hard to see.)

The next dialog, Restore Results depicts the selected restored location appeared in solid yellow. Just accept if correct.

Followed the prompts and completed the restoration processs.

Rebooted computer with new drive (old drive power still disconnected).

Everything worked fine with no other changes required.

Note: If restoring full archive like I did above, Paragon will create partitions on a blank drive. However if you make a backup of individual partition it will restore anywhere to an EXISTING partition. It gives you option to size partition and will erase everything in that partition. It will not restore to unused space. You first must create a blank partition in that unused space.

10. Mech_An

There are several ways to restore files from archive.

Please note, that you need to switch your product to Full Scale View, cause we will refer exactly to it. However some wizards can be started from Express Launcher too.

(1) Using built-in Volume Explorer

1. In Disk view select Volume Explorer tab
    Please note: If Volume Explorer is absent in ‘Disk View’, it is also available from ‘Archives’ tab and works the same way
    2. Navigate to the archive folder
    3. Double-click *.PBF file. It will open archived data in tree-view
    4. Right-click the required file from the list and select ‘Export’
    5. It will open Wizard where you should select the destination and click ‘OK’
    6. Wait until operation will be completed

(2) Using File Transfer Wizard (this tool is also available on Recovery CD)

1. In the Main Menu select Tools -> File Transfer Wizard
    2. In the Wizard click Next
    3. Navigate to the archive folder
    4. Double-click *.PBF file. It will open archived data in tree-view
    5. Select the required file/folder and click the green arrow button to copy it to clipboard
    6. Click Next.
    7. Select where to save file: Local/Network Drive or CD/DVD, click Next
    8. Specify the location (or select CD/DVD Burning device), click Next
    9. Set option ‘Overwrite existing files’ if needed, click Next
    10. Verify transfer summary information, click Next.
    11. Click Finish to complete the Wizard.
    12. Wait until operation will be completed
    13. Click Close?

(3) Using ‘Restore File From Archive’ option

1. Go to Archives tab.
    2. Right-click the required archive and select ‘Restore File from Archive’
    Please note: If Archive is not listed in Archive Database, you can add it by clicking ‘Add Archive to Database’ button
    3. It will open File Transfer Wizard
    4. Select the required file/folder and click the green arrow button to copy it to clipboard
    5. Click Next.
    6. Select where to save file: Local/Network Drive or CD/DVD, click Next
    7. Specify the location (or select CD/DVD Burning device), click Next
    8. Set option ‘Overwrite existing files’ if needed, click Next
    9. Verify transfer summary information, click Next.
    10. Click Finish to complete the Wizard.
    11. Wait until operation will be completed.
    12. Click Close.

(4) Using ‘Mount the Selected Archive’ option (for 32x Windows only)

1. Go to Archives tab.
    2. Right-click the required archive and select ‘Mount the Selected Archive’ option
    3. Assign Drive Letter and click Yes
    4. The Archive will appear in Windows Explorer as a Hard Disk Drive. You can copy files/folders from this drive as usually.

http://kb.paragon-software.com/para...atId=2124&objId=6178&statId=1493478&foLang=en

11. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Great post! Thanks a million Mech_An! :thumb:

BTW This thread should be a sticky.

12. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

I agree, lots of good information here.

And a thanks to Mech_An for the excellent screen shots.

:)

13. Mech_An

Thank you all. Glad to know that it was helpful :)

14. bsvols

bsvols Registered Member

Excellent... Thank You.

15. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

very informative Mech_An you cover almost every thing is such a brilliant way

awesome work :thumb:

16. QuantumForce

QuantumForce Registered Member

How come the differential backup takes longer than the initial backup?

17. knot

knot Registered Member

But to create differential backup the product has to read both full backup and hard disk to analyze data and find modified sectors. All at the same time. While common backup just reads the disk and writes directly to backup. I think it's quite obvious that differential backup takes time :rolleyes:

18. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Registered Member

Well, I'm afraid that I have to agree with you.
    For anything other than the simplest tasks the instructions seem very inadequate.
    I have a special requirement for which I specifically bought Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite to address.
    All I need to do is create a sector by sector backup of my ENTIRE hard drive but I can't seem to discover how to do it.
    Everytime I think I've solved the problem, when I get to the summary, it says "files and data" which is exactly what I DON'T want !

My primary hard drive is set up with multiple boot options specifically to test how applications perform in different environments. The drive is divided into four partitions as follows:
    1) An XP Pro x32 bit partition
    2) A second XP Pro x32 bit partition
    3) A Windows 7 x32 bit partition
    4) A Windows 7 x64 bit partition
    When the PC starts it is configured to offer the option to choose which partition / OS to boot. (Very useful)
    Unfortunately backing up individual partitions does not include all the info, and when restored it only provides boot access from the partition from which the backup was run, the other boot options disappear. So I need to have a complete sector by sector backup of the drive so I can restore it and recover all the boot options as well as all the programs and data on each partition.
    The Paragon spec says this can be achieved by running a sector backup, but how is this done ?
    There seems to be no reference to a sector backup in the menus.
    If anyone has any helpful tips I would be most grateful.
    Thanks

19. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Hello Doodlebug,

with the product purchase you;ve been sent WinPE Recovery CD self burning image file. Please download it and burn it to CD (double click on exe file will initiate the CD burning process).
    After that boot your PC from this CD - select Backup & Recovery Full scale launcher.
    There go directly to Tools - Settings - Copy\Backup options.
    Enable there HDD and partition RAW processing.
    After that enter Wizards - Backup partition or HDD. Select which HDD to backup and where to save the image.
    Apply changes.
    This will create sector per sector image of your HDD.

20. beecee

beecee Registered Member

I downloaded System Backup 2010 last year, and backed all my files on a regular basis. Then recently I needed to a do full reinstallation of XP SP3. Have done this a few times before, but for some reason I’ve failed to backup/locate the OE file, everything else I have. So thought I’ll go to Paradox and locate it. I had a back CD, but thought it would be better if I used a recent version, so have got Paragon Backup & Recovery™ 10 Suite. I can locate the latest back up, but when I run Restore Wizard, I know from a PDF I saved I should use Full Scale View. Anyway I’ve arrived at the picture attached,(this I cannot upload as I saved it in WordPad D'oh!),but being from the Stone Age (they were brighter than me) I’m at an impasse. Well I passed that stage viewed and ticked the relevant files, was reminded that I could not go back and went for it! Great it’s all there but where? The main one I was after was the last 21/2 years of Outlook Express. I cannot find where Paradox had saved the files as from what I see it’s not in the relevant file, but then they aren’t laid out as before after the reinstallation. Any kind soul got any suggestions, I’ll plug away as long as the data is still then. Cheers Beecee
    PS all the wizard said was it would back up to the relevant files!
    PPS its either the dog’s and I’m missing something or they’ve made it too complicated for plonkers like me :D ?

21. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

To add to this information by Mech, Version 9 of Paragon Express recovery boot disk refers to RAW and file level backing up. RAW produces image files (img) and file level archive (arc) files...not to be confused with the fact that both these files end up in archive folders! This is not differentiating between partition and full disk back up, but rather between sector level and file level.

So you get the choice of partition only or whole hard disk at RAW (disk sector level), or at the file & file structure level. The RAW level producing true image (img) files, the file level producing archive (arc) files. The file extension seems to be the same for both, so it is just in the naming of the files that this occurs. However I suspect that the file identified as img, produced by backing up with the RAW option selected (when doing it from the recovery boot disk or USB stick) is doing the deeper sector by sector backup to make a true image file. I have seen little use of the term RAW in the Paragon control panel running in Windows, only on the recovery boot disk—in version 9 of the Express version anyway! In some programs this true image file can be mounted and the individual files contained within can be updated independently. Not sure if Paragon use this framework with their incremental backup, or whether each incremental backup is a file of its' own!

I think industry needs to standardize on their terminology! Anyway is extra information will either help somebody or confuse us even more!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  22. WHALERS88

WHALERS88 Registered Member

Vic5491, have you tried the restore process yet? Did it work if so?

23. humble3d

humble3d Registered Member

Thank you so very much... I really like Paragon...

24. sag

sag Registered Member

I must agree...Paragon does not appear to be intuitive.
    I'm coming from Ghost 15 and am not sure I'm creating a "disk image" using Paragon.
    What I want is a complete image of my entire hard drive so that if there is a failure, I can simply restore the latest image and be back up and running in less than an hour. I've noticed that there is a "General Copy and Backup Options" section. In this section there are 5 options. Do I check HDD Raw processing or Partition Raw processing or neither. The current settings have neither checked.
    Also, I want to do multiple backups...lets say 1 each day at 7:00pm, Monday through Friday. Ghost would let me specify how many backups (images) to save...lets say 7. Then each day as a new backup (image) was created, the oldest would be deleted, thus giving me a rolling 7 days of backup images. Where, in Paragon can I do this with the free version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.