Total Uninstall Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Caratacus, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I'm new to Total Uninstall, and wonder about this:

If I install a program and monitor it through TU, then a few weeks or months later install a new version of the same program eg v.12.2 over v.12.1, how do I handle this, assuming I follow the advice of the producer of the particular program and install it over the top of the previous version? What I've been doing is simply monitoring a new installation in TU and giving it an approprite name. So If I installed TheBat! v.3.81 originally, I will call the new version in TU TheBat! v.3,82 or whatever. But this means I might end up with lots of entries for that program as various versions come out. And if I decide to unstall the prog, presumably I start with the last in TU's log of the series - but should I go on uninstalling, working back from there? TU's help file does not seem to address this, so I'd be really grateful if someone could set me straight.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

When you monitor a program with TU, TU will save the changes for that version only.

For minor releases I think that you won't need to do a new check with TU, but if the program update is huge could be better if you uninstall the current version, use TU to uninstall all the files, and then make a new installation and a new snapshot of that program...

Always depends on the situation and program...

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

For ~5 years I have had success with using the following process when installing/uninstalling updates -- where the update instructions recommend installing the update ON-TOP-OF an original program. (For purposes of this example I use a hypothetical Program A, updated two times)...

Using TUN, I monitor install of Program A. Later on (when updates arrive) I also monitor installs of update #1 then update #2. Thus (in this example) I would have 3 TUN install records for Program A.

MY UNINSTALL PROCEDURE...
    #1- Using Windows Add/Remove, I uninstall Program A (see Note 1)
    #2- I then do a Restart
    #3- Using TUN, I then uninstall update #2, then update #1, then Program A -- in THAT order. (see Note 2)
    #4- I then do another restart

Note1- Since Add/Remove merely uses a program's own uninstall routine, it will usually have just one uninstall record for any given program even though you may have installed one or more updates ON-TOP-OF the original program

Note2- There is no problem if TUN is told to uninstall something that already has been uninstalled by a previous action.

P.S. When uninstalling, if I get a pop-up saying (in effect) "such-and-such a dll seems to be no longer used by any program. Do you want it removed?" I ALWAYS answer "No." Okay, so maybe I have a few unnecessary dll's on my box -- but I've never had an uninstall cause subsequent problems, & I want to keep it that way.

4. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Thanks, guys - you've given me a handle on it. So far I'm very impressed with the prog - but I think the help files could stand beefing up. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.