total uninstall alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm looking for an alternative to http://www.martau.com/
    i'm looking for a similar program but free , a program that make a shapshot before install a program and a second shapshot after

total uninstaller is not very cheap 30€ for a program that i use seldom

i have the old free version 2.34 , i guess it's the last free version

i don't want program like revo(free) and your uninstaller , they are useless , i make some tests and no way

so is there a similar program to total uninstaller freeware?

thanks
    have a great day
    and happy new year

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Don't see any reason why Revo has to be labeled as USELESS,its one off the best out there.
    In advanced mode it uninstalls almost anything related to that app.
    To be completely sure that everything is gone,REGSEEKER in search mode will find the leftovers if any.
    Both Revo and Regseeker are free.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes thanks Huupi
    in this forum i found , but now i can't find , a topic about a program very similar to total uninstall , is what i want

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Might be worth a look?

ZSoft Uninstaller 2.4.1:
    Analyze an installation so it can be completely uninstalled (also supports reboots of the computer as the process is split into two: Before and after the installation)
    http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4

5. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

there was an uninstaller by ashampoo sometime back similiar to total uninstaller.search their site for it.

6. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I am really happy with Smart Uninstaller 2009. Bought it for about 10 dollars this Xmas.

7. icr

icr Registered Member

My vote too for Revo Uninstaller for freeware here is the link

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    do you use it?
    does it monitor registry too?

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    does it work like revo free or total uninstall?

10. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I advice ZSoft Uninstaller; excellent, easy-to-use, does a very good shapshot (files/registry) install/uninstall analyze, very reliable, can be used with installers that need to reboot the PC, etc..

V. 2.4.1 is the latest official version. I recommend the newest Beta version 2.5: it's a stable and an enhanced version (with does scan for leftovers to app. that the user didn't done a analyze shapshot before; with the Post Uninstall feature you can do a scan for leftovers after uninstall with the uninstaller application firstly - this avoid annoyances like this and this that some uninstallers have: Revo, Your, Smart, Cleanse; these app. would uninstall files that are needed for a app. to complete remove itself after the reboot.). Install first 2.4.1 and after replaces with the Beta files.

Tip: always first use the program's own uninstaller and just use ZSoft Uninstaller analyzed log to uninstall after (after reboot if the app. requested that).

A Happy New Year to you also. :shifty:

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree with Franklin!

I have been using Zsoft Uninstaller (ZSU) -- successfully, & happily, & without ANY problems -- for nearly 2 years.

ZSU follows the same concept as Total Uninstall: (1) analyze all key files BEFORE installing, (2) analyze all key files AFTER installing, (3) Record BEFORE/AFTER differences.

Thus, when ZSU is used for uninstalling, it applies a precise record of the EXACT files that got changed during the installation. Other types of uninstallers will search to try to discover what got changed by an installation. ZSU knows what got changed, which is a much better and safer approach.

NOTE1: If a program requires reboot during installation, then I do ZSU's "after" analysis immediately after the reboot.

NOTE2: When uninstalling a heavy/complex program, I follow this routine: (1) Use the program's own uninstall routine, if it has one (2) reboot -- whether the program requires it or not -- and (3) uninstall *again* using ZSU. (If the program's own uninstaller is perfect, then ZSU will make no changes. If the program's uninstaller is not perfect, then ZSU will clean up the left-overs.)

BY THE WAY -- this 3-step uninstall routine only applies to getting rid of programs which I have used for a long while. If I merely want to test-drive a program, I always do so in Shadow Defender's "shadow mode". After the trial, I reboot and POOF! -- all of the tested program is totally vanished as though the install never happened.

12. cruchot

cruchot Registered Member

13. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Your Uninstaller! is useless? You must be joking. I'm using the Pro version about 2 weeks and did a few uninstall. Very effective. In normal mode you won't have any leftovers. The default is safe mode, in this mode maybe u will have some registry key leftovers, but in normal mode... it will uninstall correctly anything.

Ok, it's not free, but not useless.

14. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

For anyone reading this thread who may be interested Smarty Uninstaller 2009 Pro is 70% off at
    http://www.softpedia.com/discounts/
    I think that makes it around $8.38.

I personally use ZSoft Uninstaller and just downloaded the beta version from the link above. I have also used Revo Uninstaller and have been quite impressed by it.

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Neither is Revo, and it IS free. I can only assume settings were a factor here because both programs wipe every trace of of installed software in my experience. The way I do it with Revo is set it to "moderate", do the uninstall, and, if a reboot is needed, finish letting Revo take out everything but the files that absolutely can't be deleted without a reboot before I restart.

I always double check with CCleaner afterward and VERY rarely a simple empty program folder is left, never anything else. I can even get Norton wiped out, which, if you've used it, you know it has had a habit of being a pain to get cleared out.

17. cruchot

Found an answer to my question:

"Smarty Uninstaller is not the perfect answer if you’re looking for a complete uninstall, as it does not tackle the infallible method of snapshotting the registry before installing of software and then again after the process is complete, thus when removing the app, comparing the two snapshots and deleting all the differences. But it comes packed with a thorough scan engine capable of detecting all important traces remaining after eliminating a program from the system."
    Source: http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Smarty-Uninstaller-2009-Pro-Review-130068.shtml

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Don't know anything about Smarty.

19. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Smarty is nice but as you suggest does not do pre and post snapshots - this is what I like. The Smarty cleanup routines seem to be good at finding leftovers but I would rather manually remove traces after the app un-installer has run

20. cruchot

The downside of these before/after snapshots, changes made by other applications between the two snapshots will be included in the later uninstall process (if running in auto mode).

21. guest

guest Guest

I don't use any of these uninstall softwares because I think that all of them are very imperfect.

A good software of this kind should have a dedicated team, analyzing on a regular basis an always updated list of popular software, to know what really have to be removed in order to complete a perfect uninstall. I don't know any that use such approach.

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i did some tests and they dont clean key and files
    i'm sure at 100%
    they run the built in uninstaller and after they did perform a scan of registry and files , they are comfortable , i use revo free, but they don't remove all
    the remove almost 10% maybe of the install

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.