Total Uninstall 3 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Blackcat, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Version 3 of Total Uninstall, the install monitor and uninstaller has just been released; http://www.martau.com/.

Big GUI changes in this version and it is now a commercial program ($29).

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I checked the website thoroughly. As far as I can tell, the changes made (versus the free version) are totally cosmetic, but I am far from an expert on such matters. Does anyone find differently?

I am a long-time fan of TUN, but a $30 jump seems steep. :eek:

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Looks like it will also automatically pick up installations when you run an installer.. nice! The UI looks a lot more organized, too. Can't wait to try it out.

4. bellgamin

This thread got me to searching. My best finds so far are Tenebril's Uninstaller for $19.95, and Your Uninstaller for the same price as Total Uninstall. Both of these programs provide several additional, useful functions over & above simply uninstalling.

I'm still *on the hunt* for the world's greatest uninstaller -- regardless of $$. Must find. Must buy. Pant pant pant. View Haloo!!! :D

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

7. bellgamin

I visited AUP's site. Over & above its uninstaller AUP also has modules for Startup management, registry back-up & safe-mode restore, registry cleaning, temp file cleaning, privacy clean-up, fonts management, control panel clean-up, etc. All these features are unavilable in TU, plus AUP is 2 bux less expensive -- simply amazing!

I shall give AUP a trial soon. Thanks for the link!

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi bellgamin,

You're welcome. :)
    Let us know how you like it.

9. bellgamin

Per Nick's link I gave RemoveIt a try. It's a great tool for a power user. Very austere GUI. No help at all for a newbie. Doesn't monitor an install. It basically just lists installed stuff -- even the hidden ones -- & will uninstall whatever you click on, no matter whether there is an uninstaller or not. It's very much to the point, but you had better know what you're doing or it could get you into deep kim chee. Too radical for my limited skills.

As to Advanced Uninstaller Pro-- the utilities that come with the installer are excellent -- perhaps even worth the price without regard to the uninstaller module. They had better be, because the uninstaller doesn't do anything over & above what Windows itself can do. It doesn't monitor an install. In fact AUP's uninstaller is mostly just a handy way to launch a program's native uninstaller feature.

Tenebril's Unistaller has a trial version that is so crippled that it's hard to tell much about it. In fact, just about every capability except its uninstall module was crippled. The uninstaller DOES monitor an install -- a VERY slow ptocess. I used the program to monitor the before & after when I installed RemoveIt. However, when I went to uninstall RemoveIt, Tenebril's Uninstaller couldn't find the record it had made of the installation.

Any more candidates?

10. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

bellagamin, have u tried ashampoo uninstaller platinum suite??imho its better than total uninstall.it does have an installmonitor ,but dont rely on it too much.better to take a snapshot b4 and after the install.beware if you have multiple os.in that case read the included help file and tweak accordingly.one problem is that u cant use both the applications own uninstaller and ashampoo ui together as u do in total uninstaller out of the box.that requires some tweaking-about shared dlls.u can restore u r settings exactly as b4 using this uninstaller.i suggest u read the help file and use the expert settings and configure it adequately.one more thing-its better to stot those applications in the system tray -even the av and firewall during the monitoring phase of the uninstaller.one word of caution-i havent tried it with applications that modify ur system extensively like ur av or firewall.hope this helps :)

11. bellgamin

Thanks for the good information -- it's the most thorough I have seen concerning Ashampoo.

To be honest, I am afraid to give Ashampoo a trial -- afraid I might LIKE it! If I did like it, the $50 price tag would raise a major bone of contention between me & the comptroller-general {my wife, that is}.

Has anyone here tried "Your Uninstaller?" I keep hearing good reports about it over at DSLR reports.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have just installed Ashampoo's Uninstaller Suite 1.3.1.4 worth £30. it came free on the cover of PC Pro magazine and i used a registration key that Ashampoo gave me after i installed it. i can't tell if the key is only given if you use the magazine version or the key is given if you install the same version online o_O
    here's a screenshot :)

Attached Files:

13. bellgamin

I'm happy for you but I have no quick & ready source for PC PRO magazine. Ergo, no free deal for me, I guess. (sob blubber) :'(

14. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

@bellagamin
    i have tried your uninstaller in the past -u see iam also very fond of uninstallers :D .well its defenitely better than advanced ui though it lacks all that xtra stuff.it launches the applications own uninstaller and when it is finished scans the registry and file system for leftovers which can be removed.i have tested its efficiency after some uninstallations by just searching the registry for any garbage using a regitry editor.well in some cases i was able to find some leftovers even after the uninstallation with your uninstaller -not very good right??it doesnt have any install monitor and u cant take snapshots pre and post install as in total ui and ashampoo.i guess it also has a problem handling a situation where the native uninstaller prompts for a reboot to remove inuse files.in that case it wont be able to do a post uninstall scan normally-i guess.
    also i have heard good comments about system mechanics uninstaller though i havent tried so often.also there is a small update to total uninstall free version its now version 2.35 .hope this helps

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

16. notageek

notageek Registered Member

17. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi

I just wanted to state the obvious for better interpretation overall.

There are two categories for UnInstallers that been listed here.

1.) UnInstaller Systems that tracks software installs and be used to uninstall afterwards
    2.) UnInstaller Systems that merely determines between valid and invalid entries in the uninstall registry location, which controls what you see in Add/Remove Programs.

Disadvantages:

1.) These particular UnInstaller systems that tracks software installs proving to be more efficient for complete removals, now the problem is things like AntiVirus systems and Firewalls that fiddles in the Network aspect of your system, using these UnInstaller systems can render you connectionless. Has Total UnInstall v3 been fixed up now to ensure this won’t happen anymore?
    2.) And UnInstaller systems that merely determines between valid and invalid entries, the thing about these are it doesn’t take much for these UnInstaller systems to be rendered useless, since these UnInstallers rely mainly on software own uninstaller to-do the job, now if something happened to the software uninstaller or uninstall log file, like mysteriously deleted or corrupted by file infectors or bad RAM or HDD, these UnInstaller systems can only be capable of removing the uninstall info located in the registry uninstall location and fix it from showing an entry in Add/Remove Programs. And another thing, since they rely on software own uninstalls procedures, these UnInstaller systems fail to ensure complete removal of software products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.