Toshiba back-up probs with ATI 10 & 11 BootCDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shieber, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I tested backing up a new Toshiba A205-7458. It has a hidden partion of about 1.46GB -- I understand that this is the partition the machine will boot into in recovery mode -- has drivers and such. Heck, I'd probably just remove the hidden partition and merge the space into the C partition if I could make a backup (and restoreable) image of the drive.

However, using a bootCD for ATI 10 and one for ATI 11 (latest builds of each) to try to make a whole disk (mbr and all) back up to a USB 2 drive doesn't seem possible. While ATI acts as if it is backing up, after an hour or so, it's made very little progress. Wtih ATI10, the time remainging estimate is hours and with ATI 11, it starts out being about 10 minutes (what one should expect) but keeps increasing the longer it runs -- after about a hour, 13 minutes changed to 15, then 18, etc. I aborted in both cases. Conceiveably the backups might have finished if I waited long enough but I don't think this is a reasonable approach.

I could try making the backup from within Windows, but even if that worked, I expect I'd have the same problems when I tried to restore using the ATI Boot CD.

This notebook comes with:
    Vista Home Premium
    • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T52503
    -1.50GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB
    • Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset
    • Integrated Wi-Fi® compliant wireless LAN
    -Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

2. shieber

I tried safe mode andit was no go -- well it was reading the hard drive so slowly it was going to take forever.

I disabled usb legacy and tried again in Full mode from an 8053 boot disk and the back ran successully, taking well over an hour to creat a 17GB tib. I ran validation from within windows and it validated. I then ran a backup from within windows and it took about 15 minutes.

I can live with this. A restore is going to take one to two hours, I figure, but at least I can rebuild if I have to.

3. thestewman

thestewman Registered Member

I have a similiar Toshiba Laptop that refuses to run any images or backups.

Is Acronis going to fix the problem ?

How exactly did you correct the problem ?

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It would appear that the Acronis/Linux drivers do not suit the Toshiba hardware adequately.
    Suggest you contact Acronis customer service department who hopefully can provide an updated driver download.

In the meantime a BartPE with TI plug-in may ease the pain.

Xpilot

5. shieber

I pressed F2 during boot and entered the BIOS. I changed the seeting for Legacy USB to disabled and saved the settings and exited. After reboot, I ran ATI11.8053 BootCD in full mode and did a full backup of the entire disk -- including the Toshiba hidden-recovery partition. It took a long time. I then installed ATI11 on the machine and ran validate on the tib and it validated successfully.

I don't know if it's the hidden partition that mucks things up or not.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shieber and thestewman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, could you please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drives in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. shieber

I tried the apic. . . . parameters and it didn't matter. What did seem to help was setting usb legacy to off. Before that, ATI would read form the hard disk, pause a long time, write to the external drive, pause, repeat.

With USB legacy off, the pauses were negligible.

What really helped was building a Vista PE disk with Acronis on it. Much easier than building a BartPE or reatogo disk, ime. Mustang has a free brief guide and add-in scripts for ATI 10 and ATI 11, iirc, a nomimal fee.

I won't run a sysinfo file for this problem as I've already put in over 40 hours running various tests, trials, data collections, and repairs for ATI 11 regarding other machines. I can't work on all the problems; I'm not getting paid for my time or effort -- in fact I paid Acronis (when I purchased ATI) so there's a bit of irony there if you look for it. I realise Acronis is to small to be able to adequately test new versions before their annual release. I think the annual cycle is just too short to Acronis to do a goo job on the programming and testing. No one can say I didn't pay my dues here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.