torrenting with norton

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ssraid, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssraid

ssraid Registered Member

Hi, A week a go i got high speed and started torrenting with azureus and had norton run and was getting high speeds, but now for some reason my speeds have dropped and i get a NAT/firewalled (TCP) reachability problem conection. I configured my firewall to premit the program to run and to except the TCP and UDP data. I also tryed port forwarding. As a lost resort i called symantec hoping they could help me with there software, but all they told me was "up grade to norton 2006" :'( My computer information is as follows. OS: XP, norton verson: norton interent security 2004 and norton antivirus. I hope someone can help me. I'd be most greatful. Thank you for your time!

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Re: torrenting with notorn

did you try turning off norton firewall and using windows firewall temporary to see if it works

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Re: torrenting with notorn

First, try connecting to the internet directly from your modem and not through your router. If it works then, it is the router decreasing your throughput and causing you to be firewalled. If it still is low, then it is Norton's configuration which you didn't do right. Post back your results without your router and we will go from there :) Also, please include what type of router you have

Alphalutra1

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  4. ssraid

ssraid Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!
    @metallicakid15: I also tried turning off norton (and uninstalling it) but i still get the seem speed and when i scan the port i'm using it's till stealthed (also uncheacked stealth ports and still had then stealted) Last week i got impatient and reformated my HD thinking "oh i could just go norton-less. Well torrenting was goin fast 250k but about 15 minutes later my computer got all messed up to the point i couldnt remove the horrid wallpaper that told me to remove spyware then after restarting my computer i got error msg then an auto-shutdown.
    @Alphalutra1: I'm not conected to my router. ^^; I'm hooked straight to my modem. When i'm hooked to the router (linksys wireless-g) i get about the same 10k less when goin through the router. I did an internet speed test with the router and i get about 600k download without it i get about 700 to 800K (dont know if that lil bit of info helped)
    Thank you both very much for trying to help me. :)

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Were you running any firewall or behind your router when this happened?
    Have you reinstalled Norton yet or running another firewall?
    When you experienced the slow down did you check the firewall logs?

Regards,

CrazyM

6. noway

noway Registered Member

That probably rules out the firewall as the cause if it's not there anymore, but if you used add/remove programs and still suspected that there may be remnants of Norton left, they have a removal tool at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&Click=

Are you 100% sure this junk is off your computer now?
    Do you have a drive imaging program to recover fully from this stuff?
    Are you using XP Service Pack 2, fully patched?

If you answered No to one of the above, I would recommend formatting again while disconnected from the internet and working on this stuff before doing anything else. Make a drive image right after the format, so you'll be able to restore rather than format after the next disaster.

(Your ISP may slowing down the port you are using for p2p, so you have a popular ISP you could check that out on another forum, such as dslreports.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all
    Maybe they will suggest changing the p2p port to something like 1720, for example...or perhaps the ISP is nastier and checks the actual packets too.)

Make sure ActiveX is disabled in your browser, except for sites you trust.

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Not a problem since Azureus uses encrypted traffic for filesharing ;) . It probably is the ISP throttling the commonly used ports (6881-6889). SSRaid, just select another port such as 55555 or anything else. Then check again. I presume you have the linksys wrt54g model? Forward the one port you selected the traffic for to the correct internal ip address of your computer you are doing the torrenting for. Make sure it forwards TCP and UDP traffic.

Alphalutra1

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, there are some very good configuration pages for setting up azureus. however, i don't know where they are :rolleyes:

but, did you know azureus has a built in chat client? it's somewhere in the plugins section. everytime i've used azureus' chat client, which i think connects to the azureus channel by default, there's been some very helpful people on the channel. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.