Torchat with Tor Ramdisk

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by hugsy, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Hi.

Would it be possible to make torchat run with Tor ramdisk (live CD), since torchat does need keyfiles for onion service.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Try TAILS Live CD.

It is my understanding that TorChat uses Tor hidden services, so it would probably require a modification to the torrc file to accomodate hidden services.

Note: TAILS already uses Pidgin Instant Messenger, but you can post a message asking if TorChat can be added to TAILS without consequence or is planned for the future in TAILS at the TAILS forum.

In the forum, there is a message indicating that TorChat is being developed as a Pidgin plugin, but if you post a new message in the forum you can ask when that will happen if the developer(s) of TAILS and TorChat are communicating at all.

-- Tom

3. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Yes i do know about TAILS and i don't like it, in my opinion it is bloated as ..... well its big :). Plus every time there is an update, i would have to download that 700mb+ iso, and i am not in a mood for that. Prefer something easy and simple.
    Torchat as plugin, that means two packages with possible holes, i would like to stick with one, just torchat than.

Looked at Liberte Linux a bit , it is smaller and all, but what i would really like to do is:
    + use Torchat
    + run TOR middle relay (perhaps that goes with liberte as well, don't know yet)
    + have live OS as small as possible (easier to download and update, and easier to check source code)

So i though Torchat + Torramdisk, if anyone has some experience with it.

Any recommendations are welcome. :)

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi hugsy,

It is true that TAILS will not fit on a CD, but goes well with a USB flash drive, and its memory footprint leaves over 2.5 GB free on 4GB RAM which is way more than my Ubuntu 11.04 Live USB flash drive.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.