Tor: The smart person's guide

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ronjor, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Nice read. Very basic starting point on the journey. Been using TOR for years now and its design makes use simple for an average user. Even so, TOR is merely a component of my partition of trust channel.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There's nothing about isolating tor process and userland. Such as with Whonix. Very irresponsible :(

4. The Count

The Count Registered Member

Tor uses up a lot of data if your just browsing with it?

5. mirimir

I'm not sure what you mean. By default, you're not a relay.

6. The Count

The Count Registered Member

Does Tor suck up a lot of your data plan (the one with your ISP).

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I could be wrong but TOR doesn't use any more data than Firefox.

8. mirimir

There's negligible traffic overhead for Tor circuits. Everything will be slower, of course, because of the additional latency.

9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm waiting for TOR Astoria to come out... if it ever does, I've been waiting forever. Don't trust TOR.

10. Palancar

Not trying to invade your privacy, but what connection method are you using to make posts on this thread, then? Maybe I should re-word as to your selection for when privacy matters and you need to post TODAY (not in the future). I re-word because you may not be concerned about here at Wilder's. Our members go both ways on the subject for activity in here. Lets not discuss that. But, I am seriously willing to learn about what I can use today, which can help keep me safe online. While I do use TOR almost exclusively, its behind multiple VPN's as well. That is all I know. If I have tunnel vision, I am willing to be schooled.

11. TomeiNingen

TomeiNingen Registered Member

@Palancar - I'm deeply distrustful of TOR as a means to avoid gov't surveillance, but insofar as thwarting data brokers is concerned I think it still serves a laudable purpose. All depends on your threat model and needs, but if the gov't is your bogeyman then you should just cut your losses and stick with Sneakernet. IMHO, private data brokers and PGEAs are the bigger threat to the average person anyway.

Some alternatives whose merit is moot but may be worth exploring:

Fluff comment: If only more people thought this way we'd be living in a much better world :thumb:.

12. Palancar

So is this your hunch? I can understand where the thought comes from, but I am hoping maybe for a link or some definitive reading. This is not a crude attempt at being adversarial, but I really do like to learn stuff.

Without exception my bogeyman is my wife. LOL!! The rest of this stuff is all a hobby to me, and a way to focus my mind and enjoy a learning curve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.