Tor server & Chat Room

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TouchuvGrey, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

I am a moderator and a tech in a (ChatBlazer ) chat room. It is occasionally necessary for us to deny access to disruptive persons. We can do this by blocking a name, a specific IP or a range of IPs. Up until very recently this sufficed. We have recently been seeing some of the disruptive members back in our room with Ip's that come back as, Canada, England, Norway, etc. when we know they are in the USA. I believe they are using a tor server to get around the IP block. Can anyone suggest a remedy for this situation ?

Admins: If this post is not appropriate to this forum please feel free to remove it. If you can suggest somewhere that would be more appropriate please let me know.

Mike:(

2. TouchuvGrey

40 views and 0 responses. Can anyone even suggest where i might be able to find an answer for this problem ?

Mike :(

3. sundazing

sundazing Registered Member

From a First Amendment point of view, this is a very interesting question. Why not go to the EFF/Tor directly and tell them about it, for starters?

4. TouchuvGrey

Hello Sun:

Much like this forum, we have our Terms of Service. They are easily accessible. By coming into our room both members and guests agree to them. The disruptive members i mentioned are vioating our Terms Of Service, so i see no First Amendmant conflict. ( I realize this is off topic but i felt i needed to respond ).

Thank you for your suggestion, i will get in contact with them.

Mike

5. sundazing

sundazing Registered Member

Mike, I'm not suggesting that there is a First Amendment issue with your TOS v. banned IPs. What is interesting from a First Amendment point of view is your desire to go beyond the anonymity Tor provides for the reason you want. (In Constitutional law, there is always a question of competing needs.) Let us know what the EFF says. Thanks.

SIDE NOTE: If you're also runniing a phpBB forum in addition, their public forum has a lot of great, general solutions and hacks. We've used info there to ban spambots from our site. (If soley chat issue, your chat provider Pendulab has 24/7 online service as well as phone support:1 866.265.1884, Monday - Friday. Have you been there already?)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can probably do something by filtering certain ports. if you don't run the server then you'd have to ask the person who runs the server where everyone connects. i know on IRC it's pretty difficult to use TOR because they filter TOR users alot. i don't really use other IM protocols, and don't really know how they work, that's if you're even talking about IM lol

so can i connect to ChatBlazer with gaim? i went to yahoo the other and it was just all spam, all of it :eek: i might try msn and icq in the next few days :cool:

7. TouchuvGrey

Hello Ice:

ChatBlazer is the chat program we use, it's a real time chat room. It is Java based with a Flash component. I am working with the server host trying to find a solution, as well as exploring other avenues. I don't know if you can get there on gaim, you are welcome to try. I will PM you the link and some information.

Mike

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a script which detects some proxies. i can't really see how it will help if you don't have access to the server, but maybe you do, then it still might not work, but it looks pretty cool anyway :)
    http://www.jungsonnstudios.com/blog/?i=27&bin{11011}

9. TouchuvGrey

Hello Ice:

We do have access to the server, your information will be quite helpful i think. I have also obtained some useful information in a TOR forum here
    http://www.torrify.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673

Mike :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.