TOR Help

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sfi, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfi

sfi Registered Member

As far as I am concerned, TOR, which stands for "The Onion Router" is a service that allows users to surf the net anonymously. I have been interested in this and I am wondering how to use TOR.

I know this much:

-you need a firefox extention
    -You need a program called vivalia? (spelling might be wrong)

If a detailed instruction guild can be posted, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

2. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

you need a tor boundle, and it comes with helps file and faqs.
    the boundle is a combination of tor + vadalia + firefox plugin + privoxy

vidalia is not necessary but without it there is no way you can tell visually if tor is ready,when you run tor as a service (tor takes 0-10min to get enough nodes to create a valid route. tor takes a long time to work on its first run on your computer, for it will cache the node directory information locally,which will be read next time it starts to boost speed. ).

FF has severial plugins that can work with tor. I recommend FoxyProxy. which support SOCKS proxy and url pattern-based proxy switching.

(if you dont use tor with IE)
    the simple the combination would be: tor + foxyproxy +ff

run tor.exe(tor needs time to get enough nodes to work) first and open ff
    install foxyproy plugin and restart ff.
    then follow foxy's configuration wizard (just keep pressing OK&yes).its not difficult
    then right click on the [foxyproxy ...] text on the right down corner of ff.
    you will get a pop-up menu. click "Use Tor for all url". then it should work.

if you use ie then you need privoxy or polipo etc to convert tor's proxy protocal from Socks to http.
    i suggest torcap
    just launch torcap and fill in the proxy address "localhost:9050"(without quotes)
    then press [browse] and pick a program you want to it proxied finially click [launch].
    sockscap works quite like torcap.

but anyway ie is not quite convenient, compared with ff+foxyproxy.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.