tor and internet security

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by that nobody, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that nobody

that nobody Guest

hi all. i just started using tor.. but im lost completely. my immediate concern is to find out how i can manage tor and also have the norton internet security working normally... i just cant seem to do that. if i list 8118 and 9050 under internet security all the cookies just come through and if i dont i dont get anything under stat. which scares me even more. any advice?
    thanks

2. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

The way TOR works, it bypasses NIF's cookie filtering, using a kind of HTTP tunneling I think.

Cookies are pretty harmless anyway, if you are worried configure your browser properly to block all third party cookies.

3. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

4. that nobody

that nobody Guest

thanks guys..

well, since i pos*** this ad i reinstalled my whole system a couple times then tried installin NIS but then realized i forgot to check my privacy option on NIS when i was having prob. with tor.. pretty stupid, yes.. pretty darn paranoid, yes yes. but i got my reason to want to make my comp. nearly perfectly secure. so, aside from me, are there people out there whose NIS stopped filtering cookies when using tor? or am i the only one??

as for JAP, i tried after this tor prob. but then my connection went to snails pace. i wonder if i was doing something wrong.

thanks

5. BornMember

You can try differents servers but I think this reduces your anonymity, don't know much about TOR but I ran a mile when I heard it has some link with the forces.

All the best.

Born

6. that nobody

that nobody Guest

i thought JAP had some link with something? wouldnt you think having link with forces would be a good thing if you had nothing illegal to hide?

7. BornMember

8. yea, i think this whole debate got me into thinkin about using tor or jap.. i was gonna go with anonymizer in the beggining. well, aside from some musical entertainment, which i am not so sure if its even illegal, kind of in the grey area, i dont do much thats illegal.. i need good security because, well, i cant really get into it deep but lets just say there is someone who was determined to get me and this person is pretty good with computer.. or so it seems

as for the link ill go back and read it over again and see what i think

thanks

that nobody

9. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

How do you know that? Have you being spying on them? :eek:

10. BornMember

I can ask you the same question.

For those who are engaging in illegal activities must note that they can still be traced regardless of using any anonymity service (Anonymizer, JAP, TOR, etc).

Big Brother is watching you.

Born

11. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

No you can't. You are the one who made the claim of knowing what most people used annoymity services for. I didn't!

12. BornMember

I don't want to stray from the topic, but I assume that you disagree with my statement. Of those people that I personally know who use anonymity services or proxies (not many) use it as a means of protecting their privacy online and they have every right to do so. Please note I am saying the MAJORITY.

The other alternative is to conclude that the majority who use anonymity services are criminals! is this what your are assuming? (you cant have it both ways they are either criminals or not).

Please read this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44764&highlight=anonymizer

13. does that mean they would be watching me more that i use these programso_O

14. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

You assume wrong. I have no idea which position is right. I just wanted to know how you came to your assumption that the majority of people don't use annoymizing services to carry out illegal activities. IE Whether you had some hard data, or if it was just pure theorising or observation of a few friends.

15. thanks guys i think i got it.. now NIS does block cookies but it seems tor/jap opens up more ports other than 9050 and 8118o_O?

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Please see the Could use some advice re: anonymous surfing thread for some discussion about the ability of authorities to trace users, legal or otherwise. While I do not condone illegal activity, I also do not find the idea of an omniscient Big Brother plausible at this time - if Big Brother really knew everything, why is he passing laws requiring ISPs to log network traffic?
    You may find the Setting up Tor/Proxomitron+SocksCap of interest since it does include some firewall configuration suggestions (though not for NIS). I would recommend you at least consider using Proxomitron for web filtering since it can handle HTTPS which is increasingly being used by some trackers to bypass standard ad-filtering (see The dangers of HTTPS for more information).

17. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

LOL, this very line of thinking is why NSA used to pretend to make a big fuss about exporting PGP. Of course ,cracking PGP (actually a combo of RSA + IDEA/CAST/3DES back then), was something they could actually do, though it was costly and used very carefully so as not to tip their hand.

Besides, laws such as those you mention, make it easier to maintain the illusion that PGP grade encryption is secure.

18. thanks paranoid. im a fan of yours (and of mr. burns) i feel like im talking to a celebrity from tv now..

ill look into it.. but im a real bad reader so it will take me awhile, and ill prob. have more questions for you guys..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.