Topic about Netflix, Roku, Apple TV and Digital TV

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rasheed187, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have deleted the post, since the link was removed. But I'm still frustrated by Netflix Holland's content, surely it must be easy to sync it with Netflix USA? It shouldn't take years IMO.

2. Rasheed187

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. Rasheed187

No surprise, they already announced they will become stricter. BTW, something else I learned about Netflix, is that content may also be removed. I thought that all movies and series would be available indefinitely. But apparently the deals that they make with content providers, prevent them from doing so, a bit of a bummer.

https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/evolving-proxy-detection-as-a-global-service

5. Rasheed187

*Bump*

Does anyone know why? For example, CNN is broadcasted in HD, while CNBC Europe is not. And most on demand movies (via set-top box) are also in SD. Has it got anything to do with saving bandwidth? If so, this is really a shame, because SD looks like crap on LED/Plasma and probably also on OLED. Why isn't anyone complaining about this?

6. Rasheed187

7. Rasheed187

I've read some more about IPTV, it's basically a private network separated from the DVB cable signal. So this means that cable companies can deliver services like Netflix more reliable with higher speed. They do this via apps on the STB, and if I'm correct you don't even have to connect your STB to the internet, sounds pretty cool to me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I live in Sweden and I have Netflix, HBO and I use Nexus Player. HBO doesnt have any app for nexus player though.. The chrome cast app works (I have a chrome cast too for that reason)
    I had Tivo a year ago until I lost the ISP that provided Tivo (my condominium board decided to change ISP) . I was very happy with it :( Now I use VU+ duo 2 as a replacement box, but it is not as smart and easy as Tivo. .
    We can not see HD channels wihtout a decoder.

I have used Roku and AC Ryan but they didnt handle netflix well. But that was a couple of years ago..

9. Rasheed187

10. Rasheed187

I have done some searching and there seems to be only one ISP in Holland that offers a basic package of HD channels without having to use a decoder, that's exactly what I want! So technically it's possible, but most providers refuse to do so probably because they are afraid you won't rent the STB. I think it's a dumb way to think, because a lot of people will still need the STB for on demand TV and recording of encrypted channels.

https://www.caiway.nl/site/nl/televisie/zenderoverzicht

11. Rasheed187

And BTW, I also wonder why ISP that are using fiber optics, are not offering more HD channels than ISP's using the cable signal? I thought fiber optics had superior bandwidth? It seems to be another myth, because cable companies will most likely be able to offer more HD channels when they kill analog channels. But all in all, I have to say that 'm not impressed by digital TV and flat-screens, analog TV was better.

12. Rasheed187

Believe it or not, but this week I finally decided to check out Netflix on my Smart-TV, and I was impressed with the picture quality, it seemed to be really Full-HD. Fascinating how far online video streaming has come. Drawbacks were that my cable modem became a bit smelly probably because it needs to process 10 Mbps of data per second or so.

The Netflix app was pretty fast, but other apps like YouTube not so much. So probably that's why people buy appliances like Apple TV and Roku. But it's a bit weird, on one hand it's like Netflix is offering too much content, it's overwhelming. But I wasn't impressed with the content itself. Mostly old, not that highly rated movies, and I'm also not a big fan of all of those "Netflix Originals" series.

13. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Point a fan at it.

14. Rasheed187

No need it for it, I decided not to go with Netflix, and the fact that it depends on the internet does play a role. I've already got movie channels like Film1 and AMC, with less content but more quality, according to my taste. And they are both on demand plus also have dedicated channels, so I often record movies with my DVR, handy in case there is no internet connection. BTW, in Holland, AMC/MGM Channel is a pure 80/90's movies channel, I see that in the USA they mostly broadcast series, so it's not the same.

https://www.film1.nl/films/#all|0

15. Rasheed187

I have a question about the Virgin TV V6 box, it's sort of like Tivo. They will probably introduce this later this year in Holland. But when you order extra boxes, do they also come with an internal HDD? Or are they all connected to the "home box"?

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/v6.html

16. guest

guest Guest

When it comes to streaming devices, Roku crushes rivals like Apple TV and Fire TV
    July 2, 2019
    https://www.fastcompany.com/9037250...roku-crushes-rivals-like-apple-tv-and-fire-tv
    Strategy Analytics: Roku Stretches Lead As #1 Streaming TV Platform in US After Record Q1 Performance: Strategy Analytics

17. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Roku has upgraded some of its devices and rolled out some new ones. Two are each marketed by Best Buy and Target.

For their flagship Ultra they claim a boost in CPU performance and more RAM. While I've read where the RAM's been bumped to 2 from 1 gig, I've not seen where they might have changed out the ARM Cortex A53 (Unlikely, but if so, what?) or what value they tweaked up the A53 from it's 1.5 GHz.

Anybody seen any info on that?

Either way, the performance boosts cited and reviewed aren't all that much to write home about and apparently require apps to be upgraded to take advantage.

Thankfully, I don't have to kick into a "Oh. I bought one in June and now this!!" mode.

But if they came out with, and I wish they would, an 8 core proc at 2.3 GHz, serious L1/L2 cache and 8 GB RAM for about $175, 200 max, I'd jump on it and donate the Ultra to Goodwill.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.