Top Ten Ways to Reduce Your Digital Footprint

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/magazine-features/top-ten-reduce-digital-footprint/

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Seems reasonable, generally.

3. Minimalist

Why You Should Reduce Your Digital Footprint (And 3 Ways You Can)
    https://blog.avira.com/why-you-should-reduce-your-digital-footprint-and-3-ways-you-can/

4. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, looks ok, to me it seems simpler and more effective to make "noise" than try to hide or delete traces .

5. guest

guest Guest

Anyway what the point of protecting your privacy when sites/servers you access, some with your real infos, are hacked all the time...

6. Minimalist

You can try to do what you can. You can't control what others will do. It's just as asking why should I lock my doors if I hear about break-ins all the time?

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Exactly. Same logic I use. It never ends well for people who roll over and throw away their privacy, especially for convenience.

8. guest

guest Guest

I see it more this way: privacy isn't about locking your house's door (house being your system), this is security.
    Privacy is more about not being recognized/cataloged/listed (fingerprinting, cookies, etc...) when doing something outside. (outside being the internet).

People instead of complaining about some tech giants collecting marketing datas via their services, should redirect their anger to those sites/companies who don't value much their security and ease the job of hackers allowing them to collect real life datas like credit cards credentials...

People focuses too much on tech giants who does it for marketing purpose while real life entities like banks and insurance companies do worse and can use the datas to hamper your life (refusing loans, or insure your house...).
    But where are the privacy fanatics? Nowhere, because it is trendy to target tech giants.

9. Minimalist

@guest - I was just replying to your post (#5) in which you suggest that we should not worry about privacy since our data will be stolen from companies that don't know how to secure it. I was just saying that what companies do or don't is not under your control. You can only to some extent control what data you give to companies. So reducing you digital footprint is still valid even if some other data will be breached. You can't have 100% privacy nor security but you can do your part to have at least some of both of them.

10. guest

guest Guest

@Minimalist I got it, it is why I keep saying, if you disagree with a company behavior towards what you consider being part of your privacy (which may differs from individuals), just avoid the said company and then you won't have to complain.
    I never asked you to offer it to them if you don't want. I just highlighted that in most cases, especially with govs, it is futile.

Maybe our difference of position is due to the fact, we Europeans, didn't blindly surrendered our privacy like Americans did by letting those giants to grow unchecked so this "fight" to regain privacy is less important to us.
    Just my opinion.

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I don't worry too much about compromise of meatspace data. Mainly because I endeavor to remain as ostensibly poor as possible. Whenever I have spare money, I bleed it off ~anonymously (swap meets, cash) to gold. And what I've earned ~anonymously online as Bitcoin, I leave ~anonymously online. So there are no juicy bank accounts to bleed out. And US law protects against losses on credit cards.

I suppose that someone could use my personal information to open credit accounts. But I've already been through that, and it's not that hard to fix.

None of the interesting stuff in my "digital footprint" is connected with my meatspace identity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.