TOP PROTECTION FOR FREE......

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by egghead, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egghead

egghead Registered Member

......well almost, you avaricious bastards ;)

F protect 6

Why did not I use this Iceland gem before? Wine, women and singing I suppose.

I’m running FPAV 6 for a couple of days now and I’m very impressed. I’m running it on both my XP and Vista partition without any problems. It is lightweight and I don’t notice it is running. It does not give problems with my other security software. I have visited dark sights of the web and this Iceland viking did a great job in keeping the naughties out. A full scan of my computer took about an hour, which is about the same as KAV 2009. FPAV does a very good job in keeping my rig clean.

I think the GUI is very beautiful. It is clean; no bells and whistles. The use is within the reach of a chimp.

What strikes me is that everything with this company breathes professionalism: from their website to the user manual, you can see that there is a strive for perfection. Very good sign. What I have read is that they also have very good and responsive customer support. And yes, this counts in my book.

I’m afraid this is going to cost me money. Talking about greenies: they sell the proggie for U$ 29 and for this price you get a license for 5 pc’s !

UPDATE: I have contacted their tech support with a question via email. I have got an answer back within a couple
    of hours. Support is knowledgeable and friendly.

NB I could not get this posted in the thread "F-protect impression" (thread was too old) that's why I started this one.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

do you mean f-prot??

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I found it to be rather sucky regardless of who was working behind it.
    Detection was rather dissapointing and they are not covering spyware that most of even free ones cover. WHat good is nice and professional GUI and low footprint if it doesn't work good for the job intended (malware detection)?

4. egghead

Jawohl

5. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Why do you say top protection for free?

Later you state that:
    "they sell the proggie for U$ 29 and for this price you get a license for 5 pc’s"

I agree that 29 $ is a very good price for 5 licenses compared to most other competing AVs, but it's still not free. Avira, AVG, Avast, ClamAV and others are totally free of charge, at least for home users.

On the other hand F-Prot does offer a free version for Linux :D (command-line on-demand scanner only)

6. egghead

In a lab test perhaps ?

Yes, they are saying that themselves more or less on their website. However, I am talking about an AV program

How you know? Till now it protects my rig very well, and that is what counts. Is not it ?

You likely are referring to a lab test. What about your golden medal winner/100 % detection sucker that in the real world cannot protect you against e.g. Antivirus 2008?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225387

And if you are a number fetishist, take a look here:
    http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Stats.VirusDailyStats

7. egghead

yes ola, but.........the beginning of the post reads: "......well almost"

Got the picture ? ;)

8. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

I'm lazy. I read the headings, ok? ;)

BTW, what do you mean with: "Till now it protects my rig very well, and that is what counts. Is not it ?"

Have you done intentional testing, or just used your computer like "normal"?

The reason I ask is that many people (smart people that is ;) ) don't get infected anyway, so it doesn't matter much if they use über-award-winning-AV og Placebo-AV :p

9. egghead

It's all about how an AV protects YOUR "real world". A sponsored lab test does not mean a thing.

I visit dark sides of the web. If an AV does well in this arena, it will protect me.

I beg to differ on this one, probably because I don't belong to the smart species.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well there is another product which is just as cheap but alot better IMO.
    f-prot didnt work properly on this computer and since the guard kept turning it self off i just uninstalled it. i then restored an image waited a few months tryed again, same build same issues.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

IS COMMONSENSE!

:D

My $.02

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I should've stopped reading here :mad: ......... :D

13. icr

icr Registered Member

No Nortono_O o_O o_O

14. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

:D :D

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

For me its the av with the least noticable system impact, detection and removal of real world and advanced malware is better then with many other top av's, friendly but slow support- had send a few emails and it always takes them at least a day to reponse - forum support is very slow but very friendly, easy to use (needs very little tweaking), too much duplicate tabs in the gui though the overall looks is subtile yet nice, its cheap, easy to purchase, less prone to termination by malware then most others, stable, updates often enough - at least one time a day also in weekend, Paranoid heuristics but often right on the money so fp's do happen from time to time - takes at least a few days before they correct it -

16. egghead

You cannot judge about F prot Iodore, because you did not run it.
    Did you contact tech support ?

Sometimes it happens that a proggie does not like a pc (or the other way around).

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I did try it and acually I didnt contact support. I normally would but then got carried away doing something else. if i try it again and have issues i will report it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.