Tool Bar for Firefox & Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I am now using Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Internet Explorer 7.0 (with latest update)

I was wondering is it good to have a tool bar for the 2 browsers? as i have none at the moment?

Now for internet explorer there is a live messengere tool bar but i am thinkning it wont give etc protection in pop ups coz its the same company? right? so the pop up blocker from internet explorer would be the same pop up from Internet Explorer?

So wat would be a good tool bar for internet explorer 7.0? that gives good protection.

And also for firefox 2.0.0.1?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. chaos16

This is only antipishing right?

wat about Yahoo toolbar is it good for firefox? or is there even a better one?

4. WSFuser

if u want more than anti-phishing, then u can try SiteAdvisor.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you could wait for linkscanner to have firefox and opera support and get that.
    for antiphising i surgest opendns!
    I cant belive i forgot to put opendns as a link in my sig its one of the best things i use for my pc.
    its definatly better than my isp's dns and the antiphising and the correcting the spelling of webpages is useful so you dont end up at a dodgy page that is one letter different from the original page.
    link going in my sig right now.
    lodore

6. chaos16

So a really good tool bar for Firefox for pops, antiphishing, malaware protection is Mcafee Siteadvisor?

And linkscanner is that very good?

7. WSFuser

SiteAdvisor does not take care of pop-ups and before u ask neither does LinkScanner.

LinkScanner is good but it doesnt yet support Firefox :(

8. chaos16

Then which is a good toolbar that blocks popups and as well blocks spyware etc...

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

your setup looks very good looking at your sig i dont think you need a toolbar that blocks stuff.
    you just need to eiether tighten up internet explorer setttings or use firefox or opera.
    you can do a scan with superantispyware free say once a week to make sure your pc is clean.
    a top tier av such as Nod32,kav,antivir or bitdefender, a decent firewalll,alternate browser and most importantly common sence lol.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

IE7 has a built in pop up blocker. Do not know how well it works as I do not use IE7. Sometimes pop-ups can be a sign of a malware infection. I would suggest a complete scan of you PC with what ever scanners you use as well as 1 or 2 online scans to rule that possibility out.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree 100% with lodore. Just tighten up your security settings in your browser and you should be fine. I use IE7 as well as its pop-up blocker. Seems to do the job, even set at medium level. I also use MVPS hosts which takes care of about 90% of banner ads. For anti-fishing I use Comodo's V-engine which does not collect personal info or browser usage info unlike IE 7's phishing filter. I am sure someone will post a link to some site for a tutorial on how to tighten up your security setting in IE7 if such info is needed.

I'd stay clear of toolbars. They seem to usually pimp their security ability when usually they are just disquised spyware/trackware.

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Well said and agreed with totally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.