Took the Plunge thanks to y'all !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Laramie, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laramie

Laramie Registered Member

Hey Guys,
    I started a new thread because perhaps my experience as someone more than a little deficient in computer skill might give someone in a similar position the confidence to take a plunge into the new and unkown.
    Thanks for your help re: getting Shadow Protect and yep, I was a little out to sea there for awhile, but I just went for it learning as I went. I think I have a good layered security package now. It may be overkill and I would probably be safe with just the first three maybe even first two, but I'm a newbie and I guess i'm going with better safe than sorry. Of course i may also be missing

I went through Services.msc and took out those that posed a risk an not compromise features I want.

Now I have:
    FD-ISR = Software recovery.
    Shadow Protect = Hardware Recovery --Wow! Uninstalled ATI
    SandboxIE = Duh!
    Malwarebytes= More Duh!
    Avira Free A/V
    SysInternals (To keep an eye on what I'm protecting.)

All the above are installed.

DL's but not installed:
    Super Anti-Spyware ( For some reason I dumped this before but can't remember why. It was dialing home a lot? Think that was it.)
    Prevx Heard good things about their anti- malware and it'll give a second (third? ) opinion and maybe catches and cleans otherwise missed.

Anything I blatantly missed? I started a new thread because perhaps the fact that I was feeling in over my head but after getting suggestons and pointed in the right direction. Well, those and about two and a half hours on the WWW because i wanted to understand this stuff for myself.

Thanks again for what you guys have taught me and a special shout out again to Pete for good info all around but your confidence in SPgot me to the trial version and given me a powerful tool that is as invaluable as FD-ISR. When the SP trial is over I already know I'm buying it.

Best,
    Lar

New programs are just friends I haven't yet met. :0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.