Tons of Error Messages on Restore with True Image 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by INSAD, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

This should be so simple. I'm on a non-networked PC just trying to back up some files (not a whole image). To be useful a backup has to give an exact copy.

So I installed True Image 9.0 (Home) and had all kinds of errors and then last night downloaded the latest version and still have all kinds of errors.

Since I was having errors trying to back up to a DVD I have now put a folder off my C:\ Drive called ACRONIS RESTORE and backed up again and restored everything to there. During the restore I STILL get one error message after another, and of course there's missing stuff and the thing just plain doesn't work.

Acronis technical support seems non-existent. We just bought this product and now they want $29.99 to talk to someone to try to make it work? This should be simple. I'm not doing anything complex and have used backup software for over 20 years without issue.

Since writing to DVD has been taken out of the equation as the potential problem and now I'm just trying to copy to a folder on the hard drive, I just don't get it. The softward just plain doesn't work, and I work in a real live business where we need reliable data backup and where getting an e-mail from "Support" shouldn't take a few days and then provide no solution at all.

Any suggestions? I've messed around with trying to resolve this so long trying to get it to work that it's too late to take it back to Comp USA within the 21 days they allow from the time they shipped and got it here to now.
    :mad: :thumbd:

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If it is only files you want to backup, using True Image for this, to me, is an overkill. I would simply copy those files to another drive or burn them to DVD. If you want compression, use the built-in WinZip in XP to do so.

I know the feature is there and should work, but I wouldn't use True Image to do this ... just my 2 cents.

3. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

I know what you mean. The only reason I got this program was so I could select the files once and save it as a named item, then do the backup using that. That's all I wanted from this product and still it can't do even that.

I just tried again with compression off and anything else I could think of and still that didn't work.

I printed the screen with the error message and see things like "Hints = 1" and error messages but no list of what they mean anywhere on the Acronis web site so that's useless.

Support's useless and unresponsive.

Unbelieveably bad experience with this so all I could do was leave some online reviews to dissuade other users from giving this company their money and now I'm on Google looking for an alternative program.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It might help if you posted some of the error messages. Can you make and validate an image?

The software does work but like all software it doesn't work on every conceivable machine and configuration all the time. I think your support expectations on a $40 product intended for the home-user are a bit high.

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

" ... all kinds of errors ..."
    Did I miss the part where you posted what those errors are?

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Here are some items that may make TI not work as it should as reported by others with problems:

Multiple usb devices including hubs, keyboard/mouse.
    Wireless keyboard/mouse.

Perhaps you have some of these?

And, yes, there are other programs that will do what you want, but offhand I don't remember the names.

7. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Thanks for the thought. It's not a USB issue since there's nothing plugged in today and the keyboard and mouse are all hardwired.

Yes, you did, because you don't work for Acronis' tech support where I painfully retyped them and they ignored that and sent me a canned answer.

Things like (when trying to do a restore):

Error creating the file. (0x4000A)

and

The system cannot find the path specified. (0xFFF0)

Here's the full text of the first error message I get (turns out you can cut and paste after all):

E0004001A: Failed to restore file or folder 'Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf'.

Failed to restore file or folder. (0x4001A)
    Path = "C:\ACRONIS RESTORE SPACE\Drive(C)\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\Documents\Backup 2006_0425\Documents\Correspondence - Insurance\Correspondence - Death Claims\Death Claims 1 - Worksheet and Initial Ltr to Beneficiaries\Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf~V5QL57TM",
    Hints = 1
    Tag = 0xA8A1022BD18AE2A8
    function = "CreateFileW",
    filename = "C:\ACRONIS RESTORE SPACE\Drive(C)\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\Documents\Backup 2006_0425\Documents\Correspondence - Insurance\Correspondence - Death Claims\Death Claims 1 - Worksheet and Initial Ltr to Beneficiaries\Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf~V5QL57TM"
    Tag = 0xA8A1022BD18AE036
    code = FFFFFFFF80070003
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB816

So what's that mean? :) No online or text cheat sheet that I can see anywhere.

Maybe it's the drive itself since I see it's not listed on the supported drives that work with Norton's new Save and Restore (even though the Dell PC I have to use at work was just bought last October). The drive in the machine is a Philips DVD+RW (DVD8701). Bummer, too, because I downloaded their user manual and it looks simple and straightforward and just like what I would have wanted instead of what I got.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  8. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Well what can I say, at home I'm a Mac user since 2000 (after 14 years of PC use) and don't ever have any support needs anymore (nor do I ever much have to read any kind of manual since everything's intuitive and just plain works, and none of this loading and rebooting after loading and loading more and more rebooting).

I do seem to recall from my PC days that when you bought something it was either easy to get up and running yourself so you didn't need support, or when you did it was included in the purchase price for a limited period of time before it switched to paid support. I don't recall ever getting anything that didn't work and immediately they wanted $30 on top of the $50 you just spent to talk to you to try to get their software working first time.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  9. seekforever

If it were my system the first thing I would do is run chkdsk on all the partitions to make sure the file system is in good order.

chkdsk X: /r substitute the drive letter of the partition being tested for X. It will want to reboot to test C.

If you are referring to hard-drives, TI should work on virtually all of them.

10. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Am I correct in assuming this product can handle real world naming conventions that include long names and spaces and files within files within files?

Example:

C:\Documents and Settings\Computer Name\My Documents\Documents\Letters\Insurance\Blow Joe - 2006_0523 - Quote.doc

?

Because even on the files that do get restored (and it's precious few) the names are truncated (on some, not all).

Thanks.

11. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

This is what I was thinking. It may be worth running a chkdsk, possibly a defrag as well ?

12. seekforever

I did a test and I think I got a long-winded error message perhaps like the ones you got. However, I was able to restore the file if I did not select a different location for the restore. I deleted some of my folder tree and TI put the deleted parts back with my test file OK. I don't use Files and Folders backup so maybe somebody who does can set us straight on the cause.

For interest here was my tree that got restored, so I don't think it is likely a length or spaces problem:
    C:\Documents and Settings\BillH\My Documents\My Received Files\thisisfolder1\this is folder 2\this is a verylong foldername for -me\This is the second lastfolder in the chain\This is the folderafterthepenultimatepreviousfolder\Thisisthe longname.txt

13. seekforever

I think I was wrong in my last post. I went to the new location and TI had indeed restored part of the path but not all of it. I deleted the partially restored tree and did get a filename too long message in doing so.

I shortened the path and I was able to restore to the same "new" location. So it seems that the length of the path/filename may well be related to your problem.

Again, I hope a Files and Folders user can help out with this.

14. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Thanks much. I appreciate the input on this. I just did CHKDSK and am going to try once again and see what I get.

15. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Well I did CHKDSK and tried again and still got the first error in the same place after doing a new backup and then trying to restore. How's this for ugly?

E0004001A: Failed to restore file or folder 'Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf'.

Failed to restore file or folder. (0x4001A)
    Path = "C:\ACRONIS RESTORE SPACE\Drive(C)\Documents and Settings\CompName\My Documents\Documents\Backup 2006_0425\Documents\Correspondence - Insurance\Correspondence - Death Claims\Death Claims 1 - Worksheet and Initial Ltr to Beneficiaries\Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf",
    Hints = 1
    Tag = 0xA8A1022BD18AE2A8
    function = "CreateFileW",
    filename = "C:\ACRONIS RESTORE SPACE\Drive(C)\Documents and Settings\CompName\My Documents\Documents\Backup 2006_0425\Documents\Correspondence - Insurance\Correspondence - Death Claims\Death Claims 1 - Worksheet and Initial Ltr to Beneficiaries\Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf"
    Tag = 0xA8A1022BD18AE036
    code = FFFFFFFF80070003
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB816

That's enough of my time wasted I think.

<snip>

Yuck.

Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it. I think we need to accept, however, that the patient is dead.:'(

edited to remove excessive editorialization - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  16. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

I'm making a backup with Sonic DigitalMedia LE that came with the Dell computer at work using the DATA DISC feature. Super Simple. Drag/drop/burn.

This, however, told me a couple files names were too long and had a 110 character maximum limit.

Shortened them and no problem.

I'm wondering if the length of the file names (because they're organized in folders within folders like you would in real life to make finding them easy for others) is the problem, because that makes a backup file name like:

C:\ACRONIS RESTORE SPACE\Drive(C)\Documents and Settings\CompName\My Documents\Documents\Backup 2006_0425\Documents\Correspondence - Insurance\Correspondence - Death Claims\Death Claims 1 - Worksheet and Initial Ltr to Beneficiaries\Bergmann Howard - 2006_0410 - POD Form.pdf

and that's way more than 110 characters.

I see nothing about this though at Acronis.

Of course, I'm exhausted by now, so don't go by me.

17. seekforever

From what I can tell the standard XP API requirement for filenames is a maximum or 255, 256, or 260 depending on where you look. I counted (and I won't bet I counted correctly) your last posted path/filename at 270 characters.

The one I posted that worked to the original location but failed to a new location was 248 characters but when it gets restored it gets the name of the location and "Drive(C)" placed in front of the filename which pushes it over 255.

It could be that a lot of programs are going to have problems with such long filenames.

18. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Yes, I'm guessing that may be the culprit.

I'm over it today, but tomorrow I'll do a test run with just some files I know won't exceed the limits.

Will post back if anything comes of it.

Thanks again!

19. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

LOL – 32 years in the field, using ALL my systems “like you would in real life”, and I’ve never seen a path/name like what’s been posted here. :eek:
    I was going to jump in and try a few things, but it seems you’ve decided to spend more time bashing the product on “amazon, compusa, and other web sites” than on finding the cause/solution.

20. INSAD

INSAD Registered Member

Yep. I think if there's a file name limitation it should have been said and my time shouldn't have been wasted like this. I also think the answer to my question should have been relevant instead of canned.

I'm guessing when it works it's great and when it doesn't it's a nightmare.

There's plenty of places this experience could have been prevented if Acronis did things like Apple does from their customer's point of view backward.

<snip>

edited to remove bashing and editorializing - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

According to some of the content I have had to remove here; there is nothing more to be said in this thread so we'll shut it down now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.