Tomcoyote's domain for sale and Spywareinfo still not up?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Pretender, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Anyone got any info?

2. sig

sig Registered Member

Re: spywareinfo site: http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?s=3cd2700b5b072633867d2de74fac21fb&showtopic=10803&st=120&#entry54943

Also, apparently the Tom Coyote site is not for sale. When I go there there is what looks like a default std notice, but also included on it is this message: "This domain has had massive attacks against it and the FBI has been notified with all IP's related to the attacks. We are not for sale by the way." http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Ah, spywareinfo is coming back online and the mystery corporate sponsor has been revealed. :D http://www.spywareinfoforum.com

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I guess i don't quite understand the implications of Tom Coyote's site being the suject of massive attacks?

Attacks like that take a big committment from a lot of people with a lot of hardware, correct?

Why would they point at this kind of site? It seems crazy to me. Is the concept, "We have to wipe out Tom Coyote's site because if we don't people my soon be able to rid them selves of programs written by scum like us?"

I hope it is, because I can only image that people will say to themselves, "My god, I better go to Tom's site. Whatever he is doing scares some people. And that type of people i want to be protected from."

Or what? Help me understand!

- HandsOff

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

IMHO TC, Merijin and SpywareInfo were attacked by Spyware companies who can't stand the fact that these sites helped people get all the crap that they are pushing, off their computers.

This all revolves around money, Theirs.

snowbound

6. Pretender

This all has been such a mess! We got a handle somewhat on telemarketers and now our privacy and peaceful enjoyment of the internet continues to be interferred with :mad:

The first part of that page is a tad misleading I think:

Attached Files:

• Dom.jpg
      Dom.jpg
      File size:
      7.8 KB
      Views:
  7. sig

sig Registered Member

Handsoff: the people behind the attacks most likely aren't using their own computers to DDoS the sites. (DDoS: distributed denial of service.)

DDoS atttacks are done by many compromised computers taken over by the perpetrator(s) and used as robots to perform these attacks. There are ways to avoid easy tracking, even the use of spoofed IP's from the robot machines since the current internet (ISP) infrastructure doesn't prevent that.

An effective DDoS can be done with just one person and an army of robot compromised PC's at his beck and call. (Which is one reason why security conscious people so often preach to others to secure their PC's to avoid being "owned" and used for who knows what purposes.) In this instance it's likely not a "lone ranger" on a mission but a coordinated plan of attacks.

Since the spyware purveyors have teamed up with malware makers to get their spware on unsuspecting users' machines and make it harder to detect and remove, this is a marriage made in hell, so to speak. The attacks on sites that help people protect themselves against and also rid themselves of spyware is in many people's opinions an indication that the spyware folks and their associates are threatened by these sites.

8. HandsOff

It's really not for me to say, but i wonder if this marks some sort of a turning point. Or perhaps the turning point came and went while I was asleep.

Not to long ago I picked up spyware called "people on page". I was able to detect it with Spybots S&D, but the removal was not permanent, as sometimes is the case. It would come back when I rebooted. Pieter Arntz, and Subratam, as I recall, gave me enough help to remove it. But it blows my mind trying to understand the rational behind writing the malware to come back to life after being removed. Think about it. It is a slap in the face, the lowest kind of insult! What do these people thinko_O If a person discovered the software, isn't it obvious that he will discover it again? If i was not successful removing it the first time...then what? Am I supposed to just say "oh, well, I have lost, do as you please to me and my computer"?

What they should do is make the spyware easy to remove. Then people that discover them, would just remove the malware and then just go back to what they are doing. That's what they used to do. The fact that I can't remove people on page by my self is no longer an issue. I know who can. I didn't used to, but I do now. See what I mean? They did this to themselves by giving people the reason to get together and share our knowledge.

I guess what i'm saying is i agree. They must be afraid.

By the way, i went to Tom's page and downloaded this program that fixes the annoying little problem where windows stops remembering your computers window view preferences. This has nothing to do with spyware, but everything to do with attitude. Now I understand why it would mess up before. Now I have control over that little issue.

- HandsOff

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Slightly off-topic here, but could you steer me to that one? I'm on XP-Home, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one for whom ticking "remember view settings" doesn't seem to work, or at least not reliably.

Thanks and best,
    Mike

10. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Have you seen one thing? How much you try a dog's tail would never be straight

11. projectX

projectX Registered Member

Hey, as my "Karma" will inform you of, this is my first post here at Wilders. I like what I see so far. Congrats to you, Paul. I'm also a member of SWI, and have been for a while. As much as this DDoS is aggrevating ( I think some of the the SWI members have chosen more "colorful" words in personal correspondence!), it is not unexpected. I was only a matter of time before enough "crapware" distributors started targeting sites like these. I think when these people heard of SWI/Coyote moving to bigger/better servers, they decided they had enough. This DDoS is a result of that decision, IMO. On a positive note, this DDoS has led me to another site that seems to have it's "stuff" together. I like the idea of having IM and PM option. Also, I've noticed that Nod32 has it's own forum. I have decided recently that Nod32 is the AV for me, and am sure I will have plenty of questions. Anyway, glad to be here, and plan to hang around, if that's cool with the powers-that-be!!! :cool:

12. Pretender

Perhaps if the tail is cut off and rigor motis set ino_O? Of course, rigor mortis is only temporary also I guess :oops:

13. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

isnt that the website them newbie hackers keep atacking kinda like all you can eat bufft?

reason i ask its cause i know i heard that website name alot.

or something similar on that name.

if it is what atualy started that trend attack Tomcoyote's domain test your skills and do a rithiose hack.

havent they also change the website page itself quiet a few times?

14. HandsOff

To MikeBCda -

the name of the file is "WindowsXPFolderViewFix.exe", it is but 12 kb in size I realize that's not what you asked, and yet knowing you to be a schrewd customer, I am guessing that that is more than enough....

...ok one more clue...i thought it was from the same site that we download HijackThis from...

As for blazes comment about a test of their skill, why don't they try reassembling their computers if i ever get my hands on them? That would say alot for their abilities.

- HandsOff

15. sig

sig Registered Member

It seems unlikely that this is just about kiddies "honing their skills." I rather doubt that tomcoyote's is the site Blaze is referring to, whatever site that may be.

Tomcoyote, merjin's and spywareinfo are all antispyware sites (hosted on the same servers I believe) and it's likely no random shot or mere kiddies at play that has apparently resulted in such an effective protracted attack, despite whatever countermeasures may have been taken. I imagine the people who are seeing the results of these attacks (the hosts, ISP, etc) and the logs likely aren't thinking this is just a kiddie's prank.

16. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks a lot, HandsOff, but no luck so far -- DogPile couldn't come up with anything for it. As for HijackThis, maybe you're not aware that because of all those DDoS attacks, we now have a copy of the zip on-site here, and that's where the download links for it now point.

But at least now I've got a file name to watch for, thanks. Polly wanna cookie? ;)

17. sig

sig Registered Member

A post over at BBR led me to see this info about the situation at spywareinfo: http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=10834&st=15&#entry55744

18. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

I couldn't have said it better if I tried. It seems to be something more than script kiddies at play. It truly is a sad state of affairs when help forums are the subject of planned attacks. Hats off to you sig well said.

19. Hallow

Hallow Guest

Hello, I just joined Net-Integration forum, & was really enjoying it in there! Now it's down, I thought they were having trouble with a server? Now I'm reading this...Could someone please let me know if the sites address will change should they go back up? Or what is up in general....
    I had something pretty important in there. Trying to help Mom out with her troubles. Was pretty upset that there's nothing but can't find server now.
    About a week ago I went to Spybots' chat to ask why that msg. was up & that's when whomever I was talking to told me about server trouble...They were down at around 11:30pm every night for a few nights running.
    I've got windows messenger disabled(along w/ a million other things :rolleyes:) & I actually got a ridiculous looking pop-up saying spybotsd will close now, made no sense...I never get pop-ups!?!? Sorry to step in w/out registering & ask. I'm just perplexed, & have been stopping into all these sites looking for info & this was the 1st thread I found addressing the situation.
    Any response would be very welcome, thanks alot, Hallow. :)

20. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hallow,

as for sites being down, please read this thread

As for your problems: hop over to the "Adware...etc" forum over on this board ;)

regards.

paul

21. Hallow

Hallow Guest

:D Thanx soo much for the polite & speedy reply, much appreciated!

22. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

My pleasure ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.