To Use Additional Spyware Or Not...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shakethebabyass, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakethebabyass

shakethebabyass Registered Member

I use Norton Internet Security 2010 on my computer for real time protection.

I also own several Antispyware programs that I use for on demand scanning.

Would you recommend using another Antispyware program alongside my Norton for extra protection.
    *Computer speed decrease is NOT a problem.

If so, which of these would you recommend the most to use for real time scanning. I own them all already.

*Webroot SpySweeper
    *SpyEmergency
    *CounterSpy
    *Ad-Aware

Thank you very much!

2. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

instead of an spyware program, i would recommend a hips/sandbox/behavior blocker type application because these do not rely on signature updates and are more effective against malware.

3. falkor

falkor Registered Member

I do not see the need as you already run an on demand every so often . But , if you do ( although I am not a big fan of any of the 4 mentioned ) I would use Webroot or CounterSpy.:cool:

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'd not even recommend one antispyware program. They're a joke.

Just keep UAC on default and run in a limited account, and make sure you keep Windows patched and have a backup plan in place. Try to utilize as much as possible what's built-in to Windows.

5. shakethebabyass

You don't recommend MY software choices or Anti-Spyware in general?

6. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well out of your list I'd go with counter spy....but would prefer hitman/mbam/sas as on demand....maybe mbam pro in real time with its ip block feature etc as a good layer to nis 2010

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If my set up was configured the way you recommend I would not even use my pc. It would too big a PITA to mess with.

8. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Having had an exchange with another member,that changed my way of thought,I will say this.
    With a modern,top tier AV/Suite,I do not thank it is nessasary to run a real time anti-spyware.
    I thank the resource can be better used by Sandboxie,or a a light virtualization program.
    At the same time time, if you have the funds,the RAM/CPU,and if it
    increases your feeling of security,Hammer Down!!

Programmers gotta eat,and security is at least partly perceptual.

Ps# I have ran several 15 day trails of CounterSpy. It is light,has a nice GUI,
    and I have no reason to doubt its effectiveness. If I should feel a need for a real time anti-antispyware,(I doubt it),it would be my choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  9. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Norton Internet Security has its own behaviour blocker .

shakethebabyass,I don't think it is necessary to use an antispyware application in realtime . Just trust Norton's Insight advice and keep the software always enabled.

As a second opinion you could run another application or online scanner manually . Try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, I think your NIS 2010 alone is fine. I would not bother adding anything to it. That's just my opinion.

Really, why? The OP has NIS 2010, and if that's combined with running in a UAC-enabled limited account, fully patched Windows (at least the critical patches) with a good backup plan, then what's the concern? The x64 is statistically proven less malware prone as well.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No need to even run in a different limited account if I understand UAC correctly. The default account in Win 7 is pretty much a limited user account with the ability to go full admin via UAC prompts. On topic though, really, just use Nortons built in antispyware. It's fine and it's one less program to have running in the background all the time.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I hate using limited user accounts- just a pain to me. And I have UAC enabled but use the Norton UAC Tool to keep the constant pop ups at bay. Besides, I think using the Norton UAC Tool makes UAC safer anyway- there's not a bad habit formed when getting the constant pop ups and just clicking allow for everything. With the UAC Tool I know when there's a pop up it is something that needs investigating.

13. shakethebabyass

I agree. But Windows 7 UAC is less annoying because it remembers what you allow or deny so it doesn't always ask over and over.

When I had Vista.. b4 the Norton UAC I got so aggravated I disabled UAC. I agree that we form bad habits of hitting ALLOW just to shut the thing up. Same way with overly strict firewalls like Comodo.

14. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Wow you own many antispyware programs......... Out of all of those I would go with Counterspy for real time protection.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also can't understand what's the big deal in running an antispyware nowadays. 5 years ago, it was a different landscape in terms of antimalware applications, and AVs companies were pretty hopeless about spyware.

NIS 2010 is more than adequate, and if I were to add anything to cover up 0 day malware, I'd be more inclined to try out something like Sandboxie/Shadow Defender/Returnil.

The only useful purpose that I can see for antispyware applications is to clean up a machine where Windows can't be reinstalled for lacking the original installation CD.

16. ratwing

ratwing Guest

"NIS 2010 is more than adequate, and if I were to add anything to cover up 0 day malware, I'd be more inclined to try out something like Sandboxie/Shadow Defender/Returnil."

Yeah Bob!!
    Agree.

"The only useful purpose that I can see for antispyware applications is to clean up a machine where Windows can't be reinstalled for lacking the original installation CD"

I keep that Windows XP CD in a Old west,tied down,Quick Draw Holster.
    Also My "Back up guns" of important files burnt into DVD-R for rapid fire deployment at the first sign of more than the most puny infection.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  17. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hmm, not the case on my Win 7 setup. It doesn't remember what I allow or deny.

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, I see. The Norton UAC tool looks pretty good, actually. Seems I remember kees1958 likes it, too. I guess it comes down to how often one requires administrative elevation. For me it's not too often, plus I went from Power user in XP for a few years to limited so the transition was fairly smooth (power user put me half ways between admin and limited). It's just that playing full time as administrator puts one in the "red zone" all the time, so that one mistake with an infected file leaves little room to bail out of a bad situation. The UAC prompt affords the opportunity to bail, but ultimately it comes down to the user's decision to run the file or not. I'd say knowledge is the greatest strength in the end :)

Certainly, I can vouch for Sandboxie and Shadow defender as excellent 3rd party additions (far better than adding anti-spyware apps). I've never used Returnil, but it gets a lot of praise in these forums.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about malwarebytes?;) it has good detention rate:)

20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Good one. It's all I use , the free on-demand version. Personally, i don't see a need for real-time scanning.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I say use Prevx 3.0. I believe with its excellent heuristics detection you want need anything else other than your current suite. Always make backups of your OS to an external drive using something like Acronis True Image or Shadow Protect. If you really want to be full proof then use Shadow Defender, and you can't go wrong. There's always human intervention so that's all your part. Well got to go. Good luck in your quest lol

23. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

No , it is not because of what you say.

Have a look at the differences (note- the first one is the default Windows 7 option ; the second one is more the default Windows Vista option)

1.PNG

2.PNG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.