To Protect valuable data...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Seven64, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

To protect valuable data, and personal ID, which firewall would you use? Online Armor ++ or Outpost Security Suite ? Please don't say what ever one your comfortable with :rolleyes: I am comfortable with both. Thanks :)

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I've used both and I can honestly say that you could not go wrong with either one.
    I personally don't use either, I'm happy with DefenseWall FW+HIPS.

3. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I miss not being able to use DefenseWall FW+HIPS, the 64bit thing. That would be my choice.

4. guest

guest Guest

I use Comodo FW but to protect valuable data, ID you need something totally different than a FW+HIPS... I use Trusteer rapport and TrueCrypt

5. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Do you use Comodo because it is free, or in your opinion does a better job then the rest?

6. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

A couple of features I like more with Online Armor is; adding blocklists is much easier. Outpost you have to use that Blocklist Manager program to integrate more then one list, also like the "Country Blocker", but on the other hand I like Outpost's firewall, and "content control" components. Hard choice.

7. guest

guest Guest

I have licenses of OA and Outpost, I got them for free, there is always a couple of opportunities every year.
    But remember free is not always worse, the companies that offers something for free like google with gmail, maps, avast, Comodo... it's because the strong business is in another product/service and they earn so much money that they can afford give something for free, in order to attract more clients, publicity, or whatever.

IMO OA and Comodo are 1 little step above Outpost, anyway nobody will be able to tell you which one is better in terms of security, they can't proof it, I can't. Maybe the step thing is because Outpost is more designed for people really noob with the computer.

I use comodo because It has features like the sandbox, the cloud AV (I think that OA has it now) the cloud behavior blocker that the competence does not have, so I like having an additional AV without using any resource.
    I use Comodo because I feel more comfortable with the options and also managing it, I can configure it more deeply... also it's offers me a much more configurable and detailed HIPS and due to the huge whitelist and how the sandbox is integrate with the HIPS I don't get annoyed with almost any popup.
    I think what I miss more when I switch to another product is how the sandbox is integrate with the HIPS. Also the v6 will be soon release at least the beta and it will bring much more new features related with security and usability, and I think that the step will be bigger from v5 to v6 that it was from v4 to v5.

The best to manage blacklists is to use Peerblock http://www.peerblock.com/
    Take a look to the screenshot: http://www.leechermods.com/2010/11/peerblock-11-r518.html

My advice is try OA and Comodo and choose what ever you feel more comfortable using, you can't go wrong with any of them, even with Outpost.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

dont hold'em on a computer which has web access!
    you cant control if some browser will access them!

* limited access for a truecrypt container (exe-filter)
    * external drive which is NOT connected

9. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I know this, but since A vs. B is outlawed in this forum I had to reword the question :D . Thanks!

10. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thank you for this useful information!

11. Brummelchen

+1
    OA is for more experienced users although it has also "cloud" features"

OSS Promo still valid http://www.agnitum.com/promo/giveaway/

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Comodo, because I'm use to it, and has lots of features for a freeware. Resource usage, and pop-ups are light.

Default firewall for Linux, because I don't want to confuse myself too much.

13. Brummelchen

after the issues with comodo certs again i wont trust them any micrometer.
    also the latest issues in which comodo is also involved... never ever
    trusting a company which certs arent worth a penny and which trust
    some certs by default which are faked? lmao

14. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Curious, what is the latest issues in which comodo is also involved...
    Thanks.

15. guest

guest Guest

The certs are certs nothing else, there is no certs that does not worth a penny and certs that does not, good certs or bad certs... any of your statements make any sense
    Comodo does not add fake certs, but some certs were stolen (the credential to use the certs... is not comodo's fault), many security apps automatically allow the certified applications so this not only affects to Comodo.
    BTW the Certs were not from Comodo, and there is no faked certs in the trusted vendor list.
    Also when the problem was found by the user it was fixed in a couple of hours

Anyway if you don't want to use the trusted vendor list you can disable it.

Don't worry about the certs, this is in fact old and shouldn't happen again

If you want to see an HIPS protection test take a look here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1939784&postcount=404

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  16. operamail

operamail Registered Member

A very interesting thread. So guest, what's your suggested setting for CIS. Or should I say how do you cook with CIS?

We all know that Comodo is trying everything to make CIS more user friendly. Say they add large whitelists, and Sandbox, ect. But what's your opinon with all these work? Will it weaken the protection of CIS?

I ask this because I didn't really use CIS since their version 4 released. And they don't have an up-to-date help file. And not everything are stated clearly. That just makes people confused.

17. guest

guest Guest

The installation options has changed in 5.8, if you leave it as default it will not produce almost any D+ popup.

I have mine configured with the proactive settings, I usually choose not to install the AV. There is no much more to cook you can have it as default, just take a look to the settings and see the help in the corner of the windows.

The only problem with the wishlist if is somebody stole a valid certificate and use it to make malware, but this is more complicated than it sounds, and since this issue happened Comodo has been very careful adding new trusted vendors. BTW The sandbox will be totally virtual in v6

The help is updated until version 5.4
    http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-206-1951-Introduction-to-Comodo-Internet-Security.html
    I don't think there is a big difference with 5.5 but there will be some with 5.8.

If you haven't use CIS since version v4 you will notice a big improvement in 5.8.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  18. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Thanks, I'm now running it on win srv 2003 for my working laptop. The new version is good, not that much popup any more.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.