To Critical Update Or Not To Critical Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pacifist, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacifist

pacifist Registered Member

I have a PC that I have just formatted and installed Windows 98 SE on.

I have gone through the mandatory process of updating the holes of the operating system, but I am a little sceptical regarding one critical update - "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1."

For the same reason that I don't have Outlook Express installed, as well as the reason for which I refuse to install Windows Media Player 9, I am unsure now whether to proceed with the update. Regarding the first point - Once I install IE 6 SP1, I feel as though I am going to be dragged through hell again - constantly having to install critical security updates every few weeks as well as having the Add/Remove filled with hundreds of little IE patches . Regarding the second point - Somehow and someway I am going to regret it once it is installed - As with what happend when installing WMP 9 on a previous Win98 machine - errors and slow playback and such.

Now for the question ...

Is it worth while installing this "so called" critical update. How is plain old IE5 on the machine, just for Windows updating?

Lastly, I do not use Microsoft software to browse the internet and check e-mail etc. A firewall and an antivirus is running.

How would the machines security fare without IE6 SP1.

Thanks in advance

2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I dont know about Win 98, but im using WinXPSP2 and refuse to install anymore IE Updates. The only thing I use IE for are other Windows Updates, and nothing else. I am pretty sure it doesnt matter as long as you dont use IE for anything else. If you plan on ever using IE to browse the net then it is more than likely a good idea. Just my personal opinion though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.