​Titanfall Has A Special Kind Of Hell For Cheaters

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://kotaku.com/titanfall-cheats-will-be-forced-to-play-with-other-che-1552321337

2. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I play Titanfall, as do my sons. To be honest, I quit playing after the first few days due to rampant cheating making the gameplay intolerable. Great game, terrible cheaters.

My son says he is still seeing cheaters in normal matches but 'less and less' with each passing day. Perhaps it is working? Interesting approach, for me I would just outright ban them, no special match making - just kill their copies of the game. But if they can guarantee the cheaters won't get anything but cheater matches, then i guess it's really the same for normal players.

Overall, I hope they keep stepping it up. I hate to feel like I wasted my cash on the game.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I like the idea. Cheaters suck, but if they paid for the game they should be able to play with each other.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I wouldn't call it hell, I would call it fun.
    Mrk

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

The other day we were in a match where one guy had 137 kills and ZERO deaths. Absolutely impossible. My son is ranked 200, I'm over 100, we are always in the top 1/2 of every match, and we both - combined as a team, were unable to damage him.

Really terrible.

Glad they are segregating the cheaters into 'cheater' matches. Maybe they will eat some crow eh? Would be HILARIOUS to watch cheaters trying to kill cheaters. Glad I won't be in those matches.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If he had 1337 kills, it would have been ever better.
    Mrk

7. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

This is one of the reasons I don't buy EA published games anymore. They don't ban paying customers for cheating. Do they use punkbuster for Titanfall?

8. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

EA is great, especially with their great-game-guarantee, which gives you an awesome refund period for games. Punkbuster is pretty weak. VAC is TOO strong, but Valve owns VAC obviously. VAC perma bans under questionable conditions. My son 'installed' a cheat for a VAC protected game. The cheat crashed on launch, so he didn't even get to run it. Then he got a lifetime VAC ban. That's pretty over the top, and ridiculous, and when combined with the DNS harvesting it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I dislike Valve as a rule, but tend to really like EA.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/great-game-guarantee

Fairplay is really good, and has options. They made the choice not to ban players, but to keep them 'contained'. Why does that make a difference anyway? If you don't cheat, you won't see cheaters.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Now I've seen everything.

I mean, it's not like Valve has spearheaded PC gaming for over a decade, pushing the industry ahead with digital downloads, something consoles are only recently trying to push. It's not like they are now focusing on a much more open path with open source tools, free debuggers, cross platform games, and even SteamOS. It's not like they are the main driving force behind major graphical improvements on Linux from AMD and NVIDIA.
    No, clearly they are worse than EA, the company that forces you into installing glorified malware, the company that leaves your PC open to attack due to shoddy coding in something as simple as a game platform, the company that pushed DICE into releasing Battlefield 4 over 6 months too early, permanently destroying the reputation the franchise has by plaguing players with constant bugs to this day.

Yeah, EA is amazing. EA, lead by a greedy businessman, is much better than valve lead by a passionate forward-thinking developer, working with his peers instead of laughing his way to the bank.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  10. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Well, I got banned by VAC for God knows what, but Valve support removed my ban after I had contacted them.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I really like EA, and they listen. People go a bit overboard labeling copy protections and DRM as malware, it's grandiosity to the extreme. EA listened, and patched Spore removing the DRM, and allowing offline play. EA listened, and patched the latest Sim City to work offline without ever having a connection. EA listened on Sim City, and offered people $40 in games as an 'apology' over the shoddy launch, and instituted an awesome refund policy.

BF4? 50+ hours into it and I never had any issues.. But some people did, so EA moved teams off the DLC/Expansions, back onto the core game to solve those issues. Personally? Never had a single issue with BF4, I love it. EA listened on Titanfall, and immediately purchased a license to FairFight, which is currently the most effective anti-cheat system available - and is not cheap. My son reports not a single 'cheater' match in Titanfall in the last 24 hours. That's remarkably good news.

Origin is my choice of shells over Steam. If I see a game on sale I want on Steam, I check Origin first, Uplay Second, Steam last..

Great company proof;

1) http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-offline-play-now-available-for-pc-and-mac
    It's important to us that you retain control of a game you purchased, so offline mode is here.

2) http://boingboing.net/2009/03/31/electronic-arts-rele.html
    Electronic Arts has released a de-activation tool for removing the SecuRom digital rights management that the company earlier deployed on several of its games.

3)http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/ea-reveals-free-simcity-apology-games
    EA has revealed the list of eight Origin games that will be offered to owners of SimCity for free, by way of an apology for the game's teething issues.

4) http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/titanfall-turns-its-weapons-on-cheaters/
    EA turns it's attention to cheaters.

5) http://bf4central.com/2013/12/battlefield-4-expansions-halted/
    EA: no more work on Battlefield 4 expansions until the game is fixed

6) https://www.origin.com/en-us/great-game-guarantee
    The Origin Great Game Guarantee: If you don't love it, just return it.

If these aren't examples of a great company, that listens to it's customers, then what is? If I was running a company, as a CEO, I would run it like EA. To me it's the example of how things should be done. What has Gabe done for you except release garbage alpha's, or pre-release versions at ridiculous prices, sell unplayable games, and not offer refunds? Nothing really. I can't stand Valve, or Gabe, and I hate their platform, and policies - generally speaking.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/01/ask-lh-can-a-company-refuse-to-support-its-mac-games/
    Steam claims to have a no refund policy, but your rights as an Australian consumer can’t be overridden by such a clause.

https://www.networkworld.com/commun...amed-over-alleged-valve-anti-cheat-dns-spying
    VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) sniffs players DNS caches.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/09/27/no-apb-refunds-from-rtw-or-valve/1
    Valve refuses refund on game that quickly shut down.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  12. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This thread has turned into Valve vs EA. :eek:

14. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

It has. Sounds like one user is sour over his son getting caught cheating. :rolleyes:

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Awesome thank you! I needed a good laugh after DoctorPC's response. It blows my mind that someone would support EA over Valve, really. Like stated this is turning into A vs B so I won't bother ripping into his nonsense reply.

I'll just say this: It's humorous that the same person that comes up with delusions that Valve were transmitting DNS back to HQ when there was 0 evidence, seemingly a privacy fanatic, also is incapable of reading the article about Origin's EULA and assumes it was about DRM and not total privacy violations.

Valve scans DNS for 1 day to catch cheaters (only if you played a multiplayer VAC enabled game on that day), which stays local on your system, BURN THEM FOR INVADING MY PRIVACY EVEN THOUGH THEY DIDN'T.
    EA scans your PC for as much info as it can grab for marketing, oh it's ok.
    I smell EA employee, or butthurt cheater, either way.

16. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

EA haters are just as bad as MS haters. Same breed.

Show us on the doll where the bad company touched you.

17. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Kind of ironic how worked up people get over games that are supposed to be an anger sink... :rolleyes:

18. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Troll much? Nobody said anything about hating EA. So far your the only person spewing hatred toward valve because your son got caught cheating. They were comparing Valve to EA and the pros/cons of each companies actions.

Its not over the top to ban cheaters. EA does it all the time. Ive seen several people banned on EA Games. ie: Battlefield 2/3/4 all for using aimbots via Punkbuster. I used to run a BF2 server and my entire job running said server was to issue screen capture commands to capture aimbots in action and submit them to Punkbuster for banning IP address and CD keys.

19. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I could care less if he was VAC banned. But the facts are - he didn't cheat, VAC is a flawed system because it hit people that didn't cheat, and there have been many articles about this. Valve even admits VAC catches a good number of innocents in it's dragnet. As for my son, he setup a new Steam account a few hours later, and it wasn't an issue. That's not what this is about, and that's only a small fraction of why I dislike Valve. I also don't like them polling WinDNS, that's none of their business - but that's just another reason why DNSClient should be disabled.

I never really understood why people like Steam so much. You can't sell or loan the games out you buy, so it's a ripoff compared to retail boxes. VAC is overly aggressive. Steam's refund policy is garbage. Steam's screening of games is atrocious - X-Rebirth fiasco anyone? I mean really, what the hell is there to like about Steam? EA has proved to me they are a good company, and deserve my business. The best Digital Purchase refund policy in the business is a big part of that. Anything else isn't really worth discussing.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Because Wilders Security Forums is primarily a computer security discussion board, and there are many gaming forums where these types of topics can be debated, we'll close this thread. Thank you all for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.