Tips for picking a GNU/Linux Distribution

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, May 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Tips for picking a GNU/Linux Distribution

Discusses the following topics: Package Managers, Ease of installation, Desktop Environments, Your Hardware, Moral and Political Views, Stability, and Final Words.

-- Tom

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Cool :thumb:

My current favorite is Hydrogen, from Bunsen Labs. It's based on Debian, with Openbox and a rather idiosyncratic desktop environment. There's a right-click menu tree, and lots of hotkeys. Very light and fast. It's the followup to CrunchBang.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I've tried CentOS.... the stable branch of Fedora... supported for 10 years.

As you might expect, Red Hat is involved.

4. korben

korben Registered Member

I have been on Manjaro for 8 months now.
    The support on their forum is splendid.
    I have stopped using W10 entirely.
    Being a false-beginner I wholeheartedly recommend this distro, always updated as it's a rolling one.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Does not even boot when the Secure boot is on in UEFI. Ubuntu/Mint/Debian/Fedora etc have solved this problem years ago.

6. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

There is no real tips, like most of Linux users, you will start by a major distro (like Mint, Ubuntu, etc...), then once you learned the basics, you will inevitably start trying every other distros and DE available until you find the good one :)

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Distro-hopping is the curse of Linux users. You just can't pick one! :eek::isay::)

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Distro-hopping doesn't fascinate me at all. I prefer to learn more about things like how to use various tools such as awk, grep, find, sed, etc that will make me more productive.