Tip of the hat to Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I seem like I always give Kaspersky a hard time but I have to admit when I given a program a bad rap for no reason. I just installed it after a trail of Norton's & it caught a trojan that I won't say snuck in but it did find it, it could of came on board while I was with an av but I know when to say I have given a bad rap to a good program, thanks to Kaspersky, it just saved my computer from who knows what...

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

To bad you couldn't upload it to jotti's or virus total so that we could know from what.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if the OP wants to upload it to virustotal they should be able to since there should be a copy of the file in backup
    lodore

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good to hear some good words from you, Larry.
    Maybe it was a fast update that saved you

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I've often thought that just because an AV finds something that people then think that means their PC is clean or they feel 'safe'. You never really know if there's something on your PC if it's not being detected.

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

That's exactly the reason why some on demand spyware scans for example are very usefull. It is just a second opinion

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's not the first time I read something like this. I just hope you don't end up in an endless circle like trjam :D

Cheers mate :)

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Also, remember no AV is 100% effective, Kaspersky may also miss some malware... keep Heuristics at max and enable ProactiveDefense to diminish the chance of infection... Also, seeing as no AV is 100% effective, some malware can also slip through Kaspersky, same with all AVs.

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I don't have to have an endless cycle, I have 4 computers...the desktop has Kis7, my laptop Nod32, my wife's laptop Norton08 & my daughter's going to install Norton08...if I do go into an endless cycle I would get tired real quick...

10. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

We all know that,but we also know some AV's are far better in this regard than others!

11. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

of course! :)

12. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Just stay calm and you'll be fine;)

13. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I was getting impressed with KIS until yesterday when I ran into this website that had a drive-by that ran a exe called ctfmon.exe that DISABLED Kaspersky. I mean KIS was saying "Activation Required". I thought it had done something real cool to disable KIS7, but it turned out that all it did was change the date to 1901. No such problem with NIS2008.. some attack MSIE ADODB.stream blah blah was detected and system was untouched. For now I am sticking with NIS2008

14. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

No AV / Security Suite is 100%. Some are just closer to 100% than others.. :D

15. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Yet again a good example that the most dangerous part in security is sitting in front of the screen;)

16. dantz

dantz Registered Member

The vast majority of drive-by exploits require an improperly secured browser. My guess is your AV had to step in because your browser allowed the exploit to run in the first place.

17. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

My browser was fully patched. The exploit was in an activex called NCTAudio. Heard of it ? Anyway, its false security to think that your browsing is safe if you have updated IE.

18. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I never got it to work properly, guess it doesn't like my comp at all :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.