TinyWall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TerryWood, Apr 6, 2015.

1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Might seem a stupid question but does Windows Firewall need to be turned off when installing TinyWall.

I ask this because it said to do so on gecko&fly website. That said I cannot find any reference to turning off Windows Firewall on TinyWall web site.

Any confirmation gratefully received.

Terry

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

TinyWall uses Windows firewall for the packet filtering. It replaces windows firewall rules with its own ones. TW is a front end controller of that firewall. It is not a separate 3rd party firewall. But it removes the default rules of it. You will have to make your own rules for the applications you allow to make them work.

So you should not disable the windows firewall at all. And if you decide to uninstall TW because you find it is too strict, your Windows firewall rules will be as zero special allowances, like from the first install of Windows. Meaning you will have to allow again if you have some programs needing access again then.

They are of server access type and for those you will have to allow again, in that case. Not much bother I am sure.

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi jarmo P

Many thanks for your reply most helpful

Terry