Tinywall or DNS Client ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zpro, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zpro

zpro Registered Member

I found out both Tinywall and Windows DNS Client, can use MVPS hosts files..
    So, which one would give more options, or better control, on blocking bad websites.

Looking for a easy simple solution... I heard tinywall can update the MVPS hosts file.

So, asking the group. Tinywall as the new firewall, or keep old windows 7 firewall and MVPS host file to the DNS Client.

Cheers

2. 3inchblue

3inchblue Registered Member

Using HostMan, version 4.0.85 beta6, on Win7 HE x64 to update/edit/remove duplicates for the host file. Instead of using a firewall for blocking.

3. zpro

zpro Registered Member

So, what you are saying, just stay with windows firewall and add hostman, but does this application need the DNS pointed to 127.0.0.1 ? currently I am using OpenDNS Crypt.

How would this work ? or what setting would need to be change.

TKS
    o_O

4. 3inchblue

Yes I would suggest this combo as I use it with satisfactory results.

HostMan is a manager for the host file; updates from several sources both default or your own preferences, edits for duplicates and possible hijacks, can removes comments and so forth.

So it is not a dns caching nor a proxy; just a manager for the windows dns client host file.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/HostsMan.shtml

5. zpro

zpro Registered Member

So, if I understand correctly this hostman application, has nothing to do with the DNS client(where you would add a dns ip address like Opendns)
    because, I thought it changes the dns to 127.0.0.1 to point to the host file ?
    and that would change opendns .

how do you have your dns setup for the dns nameserver..
    :doubt:

6. 3inchblue

DNS Client is disabled in the Window's Services.
    Properties of the Network adapters has the wanted DNS IP's locked in. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.