Tinywall (and other firewalls?) Opening Ports?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Radish, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Radish

Radish Registered Member

Firewall: Tinywall 3.2.5

Could someone please explain this to me in not too deep technical terms as I'm not a network geek.

I use Tinywall and recently subscribed to a VPN. I contacted the VPN company and asked them what exe files I need to make exceptions for in Tinywall. I got a list from them and also some information on what ports I had to allow for outgoing connections. They gave me the following ports list:

for OpenVPN protocol:
    - UDP ports: 80, 443, 1194, 4569, 5060
    - TCP ports: 443, 5995, 8443
    for WireGuard protocol:
    - UDP ports: 88, 1224, 49152, 51820
    They also said that, "In order for a user to connect to a server through one of the aforementioned ports, the ports need to be allowed for outgoing connections on the user's device/network." (my emphasis)

Okay so I allowed those ports in Tinywall for the outgoing connection and tested that — it seems to work fine.

However, what I don't understand is why I don't have to allow specific ports for incoming connections to OpenVPN and WireGuard? I mean, when I allow the recommended outgoing ports for OpenVNP how does the incoming traffic for the OpenVPN connection arrive on my computer?

I hope my questions are understandable, this is an area in which I am very ignorant.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

outgoing/remote port is same as incoming/remote port. thats different from outgoing/local ports which vary for each request.

3. Radish

Radish Registered Member

Thank you for the response Brummelchen. Are you saying that the incoming data stream is automatically managed by Windows to be on the same port as the outgoing port? And for that reason it is not necessary for me to assign incoming ports?

Sorry for my lack of understanding, this area is a complete mystery to me. I have looked at and read some articles on the internet about this but not one of them covers the information I am looking for. Maybe it's deemed too simple to include in articles — but to me it just looks like a glaring hole.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.