Tiny Watcher & ProcessGuard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by pcalvert, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Having read about it on here, I installed Tiny Watcher about a week ago. Then, a few days ago, I installed ProcessGuard free v3.410. At first, ProcessGuard was in learning mode, but after rebooting a few times it switched itself into normal mode. When that happened, I got a notification from ProcessGuard that it had blocked Tiny Watcher from modifying the running processes. Has anyone else encountered this, and/or does anyone know what Tiny Watcher is doing, and why?

Phil

2. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

You tend to observe this with Process Guard when you have other security programmes installed. In order to work, the security programmes need to interact with running processes. Normally you give the security programmes the privileges they need.

3. pcalvert

Well, I kind of figured that. And normally I'd let it go at that. But I don't understand why watcher.exe needs to modify any of the running processes. Based on my understanding of its purpose, Tiny Watcher looks for new processes, and modification of previously existing processes (those that it has seen before), so it makes sense that it would need to read in order to calculate hash or checksum values. But to modify all of the running processes? No, I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. There may very well be a legitimate reason for it, and I hope there is. Nevertheless, I think someone who knows how to analyze these kinds of things should take a closer look at exactly what it's doing.

Phil

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

5. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I personally have used both programs along with others with none of the described behaviors you are having, maybe its a conflict or glitch with other programs on your box or maybe something else.
    Not to go off subject but cyberhawk latest release modifys all of the main start up .exe files of Windows it does this since it hooks into alot of everything its how it does its checking of things.

6. pcalvert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.