Tiny Software Firewall Help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Khaine, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Can someone help me setup rules, for TPF. I'm really stuck in comprehending how the rules are setup, and how they can be restricted.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Khaine

Which version of TPF?
    Any rules in particular, or rules in general?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. subratam

subratam Registered Member

khaine,
    i will advice u to go for kerio 2X firewall .. which is same as TPF but with more modifications and healed bugs..
    about rule set...
    there were vulnerablilities discovered in the old Tiny that were fixed in Kerio 2x, and you can still download Kerio 2x from this link. I don't suggest you even touch Kerio 4x at this time, and the most recent 2x version was 2.15
    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/
    If you want help with your Tiny/Kerio 2x configuration that can be done, and you can post a screenshot of your rules for others to review
    Kerio 2x was built with Tiny 2x code. Kerio became their own company when they separated from Tiny Software. Its 99.% the same, and will import Tiny 2x rules. The interface is the same with many fixes, and udpates to the program itself
    start out with the standard rule set, and read the instructions completely. Its a starting template with some rules loose so they work, and you will have to restrict them later.
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8023708~root=kerio~mode=flat#8023745
    So download the Kerio 2x, download that standard ruleset, use print preview to print out only the part of the page that contains the instructions, export your Tiny 2x rules, disconnect your machine from the internet/lan, proceed to uninstall Tiny, replace it with Kerio, import the standard ruleset, start customizing the rules, and reconnect to the internet/lan.

Edit: added url tags. CrazyM

4. sidewinder

sidewinder Registered Member

why not first try to download the manual for Tiny firewall 5.5 from
    their webbsite.I Now that Tinyfirewall can be very hard to understand
    and configure, I myself have to print out the User´s manual for the
    first time and try to learn how it works. but what learn so far i will
    rate it as the best firewall i have tried so far and i have tried them
    all, the last upgrade was in my opinion a real step forward in trying
    to make this firewall a little more easy to understand,But it has a
    long way to go until it is a product you can sell to anybody who
    wants a firewall.you really needs to now your computer before you
    try this firewall!

5. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I've read the manual, and I still do not understand fully how to control the groups.

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had TPF for a while and could never understand it. In fact, I ended up having to reformat my drive. I had myself so locked out of my computer that even in SAFE mode, I couldn't fix it.

Tiny is a good firewall but, at this point, the new version is too much for me.

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Firewall rulesets can be very daunting to someone who has never done it before. I know from experience.

Try here at PC Flank: Recommended Firewall Ruleset.

That will get you started. Another thing you can do is type "firewall ruleset" into Google and see what pops out.

8. controler

controler Guest

Downloaded Tiny 5.0 and giving it a try.
    So far i do not think it looks all that complicated.
    Why set up rules at all when all the rules you would want are allready incorporated. IDS & IPS. Intrusion Monitoring & Intrusion Prevention.
    One thing i noticed is the Intrusion monitoring is not automaticly carried over to the intrusion prevention rules.
    You can add a whole group or a single rule to Intusion prevention.
    for instance you have a group called backdoors. under that group you have say 50 backdoor rules for monitoring. the first one on the list is Subseven. Now you can either add that one backdoor to Intrusion Prevention by right clicking on it or you can add the whole group of backdoors to prevention. so besides just monitoring these events, the firewall will stop them automaticly.
    What i wonder is, why haven't certian groups been added to Prevention by default install, such as Backdoors, DDOS,Webattack, Virus and some others?

controler

9. controler

controler Guest

Snapshot

Attached Files:

10. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I'm am fine at creating rules for the firewall component, although the interface is really cluttered, having used both Kerio 2.x and Atguard in the past.. Where I'm having trouble is with the sandbox component. The manual suggestions creating groups for similar applications , and then adding applications to the group, and then applying rules to the groups.

I can make the groups, I just cannot restrict what groups can and cannot access. I am also struggling to define groups that would help secure my box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.