Tiny firewall vs Outpost firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brandon, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Im currently using Outpost firewall and am pleased with it, but I am wondering if Tiny firewall is any better in protection or better in anything else then outpost is and which one would you choose to use ;)

I already know the configuring of Tiny is hard and that they are were acquired by CA.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

tiyn no longer will be surported...

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Tiny is in a league by itself . It is better . But , OP is excellent as well .
    Tiny has been aquired by Computer Associates and may not be supported any longer , outside of corporate .
    Since you use OP , I would stay with it . Very good protection .

4. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Thanks for the info... but where did you find an official statement fron Tinysoftware or CA confirming this?

Looking forward to hear from you
    Itsme

5. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

6. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have read through the announcement numerous times. I am well aware of the acquisition for a long time. However, I could never find any statement saying 'Tiny no longer will be supported', or Tiny will be discontinued. The fact probably is that no one knows exactly the future of Tiny Firewall other than the acquisition at this time. If your statement is only a personal conclusion drawn from the acquisition, please keep it yourself. It would make the already confusing situation less complicated. Otherwise, I would appreciated it if you can show us a clear official announcement/source indicating your statement, instead of only the acquisition announcement.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  7. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Thanks Yahoo,
    idem dito
    That was also my observation.
    Ciao
    Itsme

8. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Having used OP Pro for 11/2 years and seeing it morph into a somewhat buggy and bloated app, I decided to try out Tiny last week. Indeed, Tiny is sheer brilliance. OP is excellent, but Tiny simply blows it away when it comes to the control it gives one over virtually everything on the system. With such a steep learning curve, for me anyways, I've yet to figure out all of its features and options, but I have my machine set up with pretty airtight security thus far.

The sale to CA does concern me, so I won't commit to purchasing it just yet. Besides, I also don't want to give up on Outpost. I'm just watching to see where Agnitum is going with it. Will they satisfy the control freaks or the point-and-click users? Time will tell.

9. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think they have satisfied both. All the automatic stuff can be disabled, there are still a few shortcomings to be addressed, but nothing that compromises security. Only a few of P2K's suggestions in his configuration thread can't be implemented to tighten down your system, but OP is still quite secure. Even he has backed off suggesting people refrain from upgrading to 3.5. The only real remaining issues are a few updated plug ins which need a new SDK, and the ability to alter presets.

10. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

And especially they have a x64 version which I installed on my WinXp Pro x64 Acer Ferrari Laptop. So I have x32 on desktop and x64 on laptop.

Ciao
    Itsme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.