Tiny 6 vs 5.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I was playing with both Tiny Personal Firewall 6.0.140 and 5.5.1332. 5.5 appears to have a stealth option, but is it possible to stealth all ports in Tiny version 6? I installed 6 and went to grc.com and ran a scan but it appears that everything shows up Closed, with a few Open ports as well. I must admit that Tiny seems very complicated to a new user. Is it possible to stealth ports in 6?

Any suggestions on how best to learn Tiny in general? I assume that it just takes some time playing with it...

2. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

er,

there is a forum at tinysoftware.com. and i did read something about stealthing on the site there. unfortunately, i didn't take note of it since i am behind a router and its too troublesome for me to remove my router, and connect it directly to the modem to test my stealth.

yes there is a learning curve with tiny. halfway through the trial and i am just concentrating on the applications and network security.

i see you are tryng a whole host of firewalls, kerodo. for me, i have given up. too much twiddling required. let us know which ones are the best.

cheers

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

you gotta put your network/ nic card in the untrusted area.

you can find this in the options/internet area I believe. I cannot remember the right tabs anymore but I got the same as you and I put my nic in the untrusted area and it worked.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I'm pretty much trying them all, or most anyway. My current favorite is CHX-I. I've always wanted to figure out Tiny though, so that's why I'm looking at it now. Thanks for the suggestion about the Tiny forum...

Late note: I think I found the answer on the Tiny forum. Apparently in Tiny 6 you have to put your network interface in the Dangerous Zone rather than the default setup of the Safe Zone. Then everything is stealth.. (as Infinity mentions above)... :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Tiny is nice, but i like CHX-I more :D
    I did custom install of Tiny with just it's Windows Security and i'm pretty happy.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like CHX-I better too. Just went back to it tonight.

Tiny is pretty interesting. I had to tweak a few things to get full stealth on grc. In general, it seems pretty nice. A little bloated though. And the GUI is slightly slow in some areas. I think that I got tired of the constant prompts every time an app launched and so on. That's one reason why I like CHX-I and 8Signs... no app control, so no bothersome prompting. I'm very careful about what I install and run, and don't do P2P either, so I don't really want any app control here. I don't think I need it.

Anyway, Tiny was pretty interesting. I kinda like it. But after trying most of the firewalls I vote for CHX-I. :D

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Why has this firewall been chosen?
    Is it the best?
    Does it have certain advantages over other firewalls?

Jimbob

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

CHX-I has excellent stateful inspection and fragmented packet analysis, it's ultra lightweight on resources, it's very configurable, gets the job done without any extra bloat, no app control which I don't need, rule based which I like, good logging. All in all it suits my needs the best of any of them. :D

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Sounds like you have thought this out well.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.