Tiny 6 vs 5.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I was playing with both Tiny Personal Firewall 6.0.140 and 5.5.1332. 5.5 appears to have a stealth option, but is it possible to stealth all ports in Tiny version 6? I installed 6 and went to grc.com and ran a scan but it appears that everything shows up Closed, with a few Open ports as well. I must admit that Tiny seems very complicated to a new user. Is it possible to stealth ports in 6?

Any suggestions on how best to learn Tiny in general? I assume that it just takes some time playing with it...

2. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

er,

there is a forum at tinysoftware.com. and i did read something about stealthing on the site there. unfortunately, i didn't take note of it since i am behind a router and its too troublesome for me to remove my router, and connect it directly to the modem to test my stealth.

yes there is a learning curve with tiny. halfway through the trial and i am just concentrating on the applications and network security.

i see you are tryng a whole host of firewalls, kerodo. for me, i have given up. too much twiddling required. let us know which ones are the best.

cheers

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

you gotta put your network/ nic card in the untrusted area.

you can find this in the options/internet area I believe. I cannot remember the right tabs anymore but I got the same as you and I put my nic in the untrusted area and it worked.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I'm pretty much trying them all, or most anyway. My current favorite is CHX-I. I've always wanted to figure out Tiny though, so that's why I'm looking at it now. Thanks for the suggestion about the Tiny forum...

Late note: I think I found the answer on the Tiny forum. Apparently in Tiny 6 you have to put your network interface in the Dangerous Zone rather than the default setup of the Safe Zone. Then everything is stealth.. (as Infinity mentions above)... :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Tiny is nice, but i like CHX-I more :D
    I did custom install of Tiny with just it's Windows Security and i'm pretty happy.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like CHX-I better too. Just went back to it tonight.

Tiny is pretty interesting. I had to tweak a few things to get full stealth on grc. In general, it seems pretty nice. A little bloated though. And the GUI is slightly slow in some areas. I think that I got tired of the constant prompts every time an app launched and so on. That's one reason why I like CHX-I and 8Signs... no app control, so no bothersome prompting. I'm very careful about what I install and run, and don't do P2P either, so I don't really want any app control here. I don't think I need it.

Anyway, Tiny was pretty interesting. I kinda like it. But after trying most of the firewalls I vote for CHX-I. :D

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Why has this firewall been chosen?
    Is it the best?
    Does it have certain advantages over other firewalls?

Jimbob

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

CHX-I has excellent stateful inspection and fragmented packet analysis, it's ultra lightweight on resources, it's very configurable, gets the job done without any extra bloat, no app control which I don't need, rule based which I like, good logging. All in all it suits my needs the best of any of them. :D

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Sounds like you have thought this out well.

Jimbob