Timeshift

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by bellgamin, Feb 1, 2023.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have settled on Zorin Pro for the nonce. For backing up, I used Timeshift -- first time for me. Timeshift let me select what to backup but it gave me no choice for the backup's destination. I wanted to backup to my external SSD but Timeshift didn't give me that choice.

I have no idea where Timeshift actually put the snapshot. I would much prefer to backup to my external SSD but HOW do I do that?

So -- any help would be very much appreciated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    P.S. Any other Zorin users here at Wilders?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Excellent choice! Yes, I use paid for Zorin but only in VMWare's virtual machine.
    Acadia

4. bellgamin

@wat0114 -- GREAT tutorial on Timeshift. Thanks to the nth for pointing it out!

@Acadia -- Why use Zorin on virtual machine only?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Don't wish to dual boot and besides, Linux is just a toy for me, still a Windows man. I mainly use Virtual Machine Zorin whenever I want extra security when surfing.
    Acadia

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

:thumb:

7. bellgamin

My problem with Win11 is that it insisted on trying to make me do what Microsoft *thinks* I should do.

For example, when I tried to move a file or delete a folder or such, Win11 persisted in requiring me to "authorize" such actions. Win11 did so even after I replaced Windows Defender with a 3rd party AV.

Win11 is nanny-ware -- a hand-holder that is designed for relatively safe use by Joe Sixpack & his beloved Aunt Fluffy. To me, it seems ironic that Win Defender is a security app developed by the OS developers who, because of patchwork design & holes in their OS, created the need for AVs in the first place.

So -- I moved to Linux, where I am 99.63% free to mess around to my heart's content. As for Windows -- to each his own - ymmv -- & NO offense intended.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Whatever. I was just answering your question.
    Acadia

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

In timeshift the backup location can be designated in the settings assuming the back up drive is connected so that time shift can "see" it..Need to be careful as it does not automatically pick "new" drives plugged in.

MX-linux has a similar tool called mx snapshot but for the time it takes to backup depending on the size of the data it would be quicker to re-install the distro from a live iso medium.

10. bellgamin

I knew that. I only quoted your post as an opportunity for me to ventilate against Windows 11.

I remain an avid fan of Win7 but not for Win10 & Win11. The Linux distro I use (Zorin) is very similar to Win 7 -- minus the registry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.