Time

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

My Sony Vaio, is having toruble maintaining the correct time! Does this mean my MOBO battery is on its last leg? If so any ideas software etc. to make battery replacement painless? Thanks & always

Take Care
    Rico

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

My PC clock seems to be going 5 minutes faster than my wall clocks? o_O

Check your manual for the right battery replacment type.

http://www.computerhope.com/battery.htm

if it is the alkaline type, it should last several years. if it is the lithium type, it should last at least 5 years. if rechargable, not sure about those.

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

As for software to make battery replacement easier, I am not sure there are any. Usually, you just open the system, look for the battery, take it out and insert the new one. There are programs that save your CMOS and system information if you are referring to those, but they do not make replacement any easier. They are used to reload the system information when your PC "loses" its memory.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello CCSITO,

Yes I was referring to something that would remember my settings, for quick recovery.

By removing the CMOS battery the BIOS settings, are lost, so if i wrote them down after replacement I could manually re-enter the values, correct?

Take Care
    Rico

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Be sure and set the HDD first and select your preferred priorities on boot. That is the only thing outside of the default selections that most people mess with. If you have a fairly new computer and have your overclocking parameters, etc. to save - just use a simple program called "BIOS" - it's freeware and can be found here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Bios_d235.html

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Messrs. CCSITO, Gerard

Many Thanks &

Take Care
    Rico

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

There are CMOS utilities available on Majorgeeks.com or at this site.
    Winrescue:
    http://www.regvac.com/

If you jotted the PC setup information down on a piece of paper, that is good insurance and should work when the PC battery dies. I think that most newer PCs will be able to reboot even when the battery goes out. Just the clock will be off. However, with my Windows 3.11 system, the battery was fused to the Motherboard and replacement was impossible (unless I wanted to do some welding). Whenever I boot up that system, I have to enter all of the hard drive and system information or the system will not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.