Time to Update! Which Way to Go?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by johnmw1, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmw1

johnmw1 Registered Member

Hi,

Just a couple of queries in regards to updating. My current 2yr licence with 2.7 is due to expire today. While I have been very happy with 2.7 and never had any problems with it the question now arises to, do I stick with what I have or update to version 3.0? I'm not really sure of what the difference between the two versions are? I'm still running XP and can only assume that version 3.0 had not been around two years ago when I purchased 2.7.

One other option I have is to upgrade to the Security Suite. I'm only running the free version of Zonealarm and I guess that as far as firewalls go it's probably only average compared to the pro version or any other payed for type. How good is the firewall in Security Suite as compared to other stand alone firewall products. The reason I ask is that just reading the forum here would suggest that there are still quite a few bugs in the Security Suite and for sure I'm no computer guru and I just want the easiest way of updating.

Cheers
    John

2. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

If you are satisfied with your current set of security software then you should not feel any pressure to change. From what I have read NOD v2.7x should be supported for a while into the future. You could renew your license (or if you already have) and try NOD v3.x and see how you like it. You could always use the same license for NOD 2.7x if you decide to un-install v3 and re-install v2.7. This gives you the option to see how you like the combination of ZA free and v3 while still having the option of what you already know you like...ZA free and v2.7. From what I have read in this forum both v2.7x and v3.x offer great AV protection but v3.x offers a new interface and (from my understanding) some newer AV protection features. Finally...ESS is a relatively new product by ESET but it is definitely worth taking a look at now and/or in the future.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

stick with v2.7 is you are happy. I have v2.7 on all my personal machines still.

4. johnmw1

johnmw1 Registered Member

Thanks fellas for your replies. As I'm openly looking at trying other firewalls I have uninstalled ZA and am currently trying Outpost Firewall Pro 2009. I did a full scan with it and it found at least 10 or so infections or suspect intrusions. So far so good.....................next will be Online Armor?

As far as 2.7 v 3.0 goes I'm still very undecided, only because I just don't see what the difference between them are.

Cheers
    John

5. piranha

piranha Registered Member

v2.7 is winsock base, v3 works as a proxy, it is suppose to be more secure but all connection go through ekrn.exe...... some like it others dont.....

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207359

dowload v3 with your ID and PW and try it

v3 is also easier to set, new interface too, and possibly other more protection i cant explain...... just read about it on eset web site

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Version 3 is supposed to have better rootkit detection I am told.

7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

I have recently purchased Outpost security 2009 and it is excellent and has good malware protection. It good for advanced and i recommend it for new user. It has all the firewall rules you want and layout is good and concise. Despite it coming on top on tests at matousec.com which members here have contempt for(due to tests including HIPS software) it still a great firewall and highly regarded. I am using the x64 edition. It found some files packed with FCG legitimate packer used by malware that were ignored by NOD32. Other alternative firewalls i recommend is Comodo 3.0 or Online Armor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.