Time to Move On From Windows XP

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SweX, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/03/25/time-to-move-on-from-windows-xp/

2. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Well, at least this gives Luddites something to complain about.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My XP boxes haven't been plugged in for quite a few months... I've lost count of how long it's been.
    I just need to wipe the drives and do something with them besides serving as the proverbial glorified doorstops. Maybe a pair of planters of some kind? That might work. ;)

~ Removed Copyrighted Image ~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  4. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

No such thing as 'fair use' in the USSA ?

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Enigm, not when the Web site explicitly states "No image may be used in any media, and in any format, without first obtaining prior written authorization from the artist." And also when our Terms of Service clearly states:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yeah XP - XP/SP2 & then XP/SP3 if you want :D

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

This begs the question: are there really people who need such a site to know whether they are running XP?:D

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/...cting-windows-xp-machines-after-april-8-2014/

12. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I saw that was included with this month's Windows update, and it created a scheduled task, which I promptly deleted.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

About time man. You will not regret it. :D

14. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

About the technet blog article that Ronjor posted, it says that changing browsers will not help.

The paragraph was talking about web surfing and malicious web sites. I don't understand why changing to a up-to-date browser doesn't help.

15. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Depends on the exploit. e.g. An exploit against the browser's rendering engine can be avoided by using a different browser. An exploit against the operating system's font renderer, which could be exploited through the browser, would not be avoidable.

16. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

China's Unsupported XP Machines Hold the Potential to Become a Massive Botnet Army

The danger these XP machines in China represent already exists, says Cesar Cerrudo, CTO at
    IOActive Labs. "It seems most [XP users in China] never applied security patches," he says.
    That may be because many were pirated copies of the operating system and so couldn't be
    updated because they had no documentation. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says 90% of
    Microsoft software used in China, including Windows XP was pirated. That means the bulk of
    XP computers in China have never been updated and so are ripe for exploitation, he says.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/033114-xp-china-280233.html

17. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I personally think that article is dangerous and can give people a false sense of security moving forward. There's only 1 thing that can truly protect people staying on an unpatched version of Windows and that is an advanced end user with a "truly" intimate knowledge of the OS. And I'm not just talking about someone that can create a few granular FW rules and disable a few services. I mean knowing every nook & cranny inside and out... hardening what you must and eliminating completely what you can. Leaving hardly any attack surface or potential for vulnerability there period to be exploited. To the point you'd have to have a serious lapse of judgement or intentionally infect yourself just to F' up... and even then be a reboot away from undoing the damage anyway. And keeping nothing important on there in the first place that could get leaked anyhow before you could do so.

Telling people to update their AV's and drivers... seriously? If that's the best you've got you'd better upgrade, and do it yesterday.

But there are actually still people running 98SE and getting by just fine because they (again, "truly") know what they're doing.

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That botnet argument is a cheap scare tactic. There's already botnets big enough to knock entire countries offline. They're composed of everything from new and old versions of Windows to linux servers. Microsoft's "latest and greatest" isn't immune by a long shot.

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There is no way you have an intimate knowledge of Windows without being a MS developer.

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I shall NOT cease use of XP any time soon. I clone every 3-4 days to an external drive & have ample (some would say "excessive") security. I keep each clone 2 months.

XP forever! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

P.S. My Apple //c still runs great.

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

22. Gullible Jones

We've been over this about a dozen times already, and I really don't have anything to add. People will believe what they want to.

Re knowing Windows inside and out, I would guess that very few people do, even among MS developers. I don't think anyone knows the workings of e.g. the entire Linux/KDE desktop stack, and that's of of similar size to XP (and smaller than Windows 7).

23. lunarlander

Would something like DeepFreeze or Returnil help maintain XP ?

24. Gullible Jones

Only if it used a hypervisor or something, and I don't think anything on the consumer market does. If it uses a Windows driver, forget it.

25. lunarlander

The only hypervisors I know about are used in managing virtual machines. Just so that we are on the same page, DeepFreeze promises to keep the system unchanged and a reboot will bring back a clean machine. And why is implementation with a Windows driver bad? Please explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.