Time to Finish

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Infopipe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infopipe

Infopipe Registered Member

How long should I expect a resize of System Partition (C: 20GB with D: 1124GB going to C: 120GB and D: 1024GB) to take?

I'm seeing a Time to Finish of 23:43:23. Is this normal for this size of change. The C: and D: Drives are on a Raid 5 3ware controller. Lights are still flashing.

Thanks for the information. I'm nervous.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It depends how much data needs to be moved to accomodate the expansion of C.

If you have a few hundred gb of data to move - that could take quite a while.

3. Infopipe

It now says 02:45:39 now. The Time to Finish output appears to be a little unreliable as jumps around considerably. The amount of data that required moving (I assume All is the amount) was 668GB.

4. Infopipe

The time to move data is 40megabits/sec on my machine. This translates into about 15 Gigabytes/hour. Therefore, the move partition time will be 44 hours. Too bad there is no indication of this prior to starting the resize move.

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Infopipe,

It also depends how much data you have on the D partition. With an empty D partition, the operation will of course go much faster, but if you had more than 100GB of data on the D drive, the program will have to reallocate the 100GB elsewhere on the D partition before it can reclaim it.

At this state, you should just let it finish what it's doing. Any interruption will result in data corruption. :(

6. Infopipe

I'm really disappointed in the software does not give any indication of the time required for these processes prior to committing to the process.

7. Infopipe

Wow! 48 Hours later and it worked. However, the GUI leaves one feeling insecure because the Time to Finish appears to generate random numbers. Also the Read Speed was 40-41Mb/s for at least 24 hours and then went to zero for the reest of the resize. The write speed was zero the whole time. An estimate of the time to resize should be advertised prior to booting into the GUI. Likewise, the poor reporting numbers should be updated properly and be correct. 48 hours of insecurity was not good.

8. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I'm glad the partitioning went well nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.