Time to change from ZAPro...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by wigwam, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

can't see where else I can post to ask abot a "global" strategy so here goes.

I used to use ZAPro 5.5 [later versions fubared my machine] with Ad-aware SE and Nod32 v2.7
    These combo was secure and memory-light.

BUilt a new machine so thought I would revisit my security. I ended up with:
    ZAPro 7, Ad-Aware 2007 and Nod32 v2.7.

I have had a terrible time. My new machine is sluggish, fast user switch crashes the machine. ZAPro is the culprit for the last thing so I need to move on and change firewall and spyware. I am disappointed that Eset Suite is not "all that" yet so...

I am considering:
    Comodo Firewall Pro v3 [i understand version 3.1 is out soon so can wait for that].
    SAS and AVG are 2 spyware products with very good reviews but I note they don't provide real-time protection.

Would these 3 [CFP3/SAS/Nod32 v2.7] provide an effective setup and if not what else would you recommend? What would you recommend for real-time spyware protection?

Thanks

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

And the operating system is ....?

3. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

oops really sorry :oops:
    XP Pro SP2 fully patched.
    It is on a Gigabyte P35 DS4/Q6600/4GB Ram/GB 2600XT

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I am running XP SP2 and I am using CFP 3.0 along with NOD32 2.7 and pc runs great. With those specs you should be able to run everything. Sure its ZAP that was slowing you down. I have a P4 3.0 GHZ with 2 gigs of ram and I ran ZAAS along with NOD32 2.7 and no slow downs. I got rid of ZA cause recently it kept hanging my Logitech software.

5. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Both have free versions which offer no real-time protection and paid versions which do.

6. Dieselman

I dont see the need for real time spyware protection. Just scan once a week.

7. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

Thanks Guys.
    I am confident it is ZAPro that is causing the issues. I disabled it and Fast User Switching was functional again and both start-up and log-offs were much quicker. AAW also contributed with its bloated IMO so that is also going

I also agree that I will go with CFP3/Nod32 v2.7 and then run SAS regularly.

Thanks

8. Dieselman

You should be happy. I am waiting for NOD32 3.0 to be fixed before installing it again. Comodo is great just bear with the pending files. Purge them often so they dont build up. Also shut off "show balloon messages" and "show traffic". I see no need to watch flashing green and red bars.

9. Dieselman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.