Time taken to make image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mesaboogieman, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesaboogieman

mesaboogieman Registered Member

Hi
    I'm using TI7 and have been for some time now. It works very well for me after sorting out a few teething troubles initially.

My question is this:
    Why does making an image of my C: drive and placing it on my D: drive take so much longer when using TI from the F11 bootup prompt than it does when running the same job from within Windows XP.
    I would have thought it would have been quicker from outside Windows.

Thanks
    Ron

2. Zintar

Zintar Guest

I'm not sure which environment is running with the F11 prompt (I haven't installed it), but I can report these relative times for imaging to a USB 2.0 disk:

Windows XP: 1x
    CD boot (normal mode/Linux) 1.2x
    CD boot ("Safe" version/BIOS emulation?) 1.8x

Apparently the Windows drivers are more optimized.

As for being slow in Windows, that should only happen if you give Windows something else significant to do while it's backing up. Windows file operations were very slow back in the pre-NT days when everything was being thunked down to the underlying 16-bit file system code. Now it's pretty good.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Entering TI boot rescue mode via the Secure Zone F11 prompt is the same as booting from the "Full" version of the boot rescue CD i.e. Acronis Linux based.

Regards

4. mesaboogieman

Thanks for the info.
    Does this mean that Imaging using Linux is slower than within Windows, or is there some other reason it takes about 8 times as long from the F11 prompt or Rescue/Boot CD.

Ron

5. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

My guess: In windows, your system has optimized drivers specific for your IDE controllers and can run at UDMA speed. Mine are UDMA 133. The rescue CD drivers have to be very generic to work with all chipsets. They are probably operating in PIO mode........

6. Zintar

Zintar Guest

It is for me, but like I said above - by 20%, not 700%. I suppose though that the variations in drivers will be greater or smaller depending on your hardware.

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Since you are imaging from drive to drive, you might try the "Safe Mode" CD. Sometimes it is faster even though that may seem counter-intuitive.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ron

If it takes that much longer in boot rescue mode then, clearly, something is drastically wrong. It takes me about 3 minutes to image approx 6.2GB of used space using "Normal" compression, no matter whether I'm in Windows or boot rescue mode. Suggest you need to contact the Acronis Support Team as per the sticky posted <here>.

Regards

9. mesaboogieman

Thanks all for your input. It looks likely to be a driver/hardware compatibility issue with TI 7 I think.
    I didn't notice this issue with my previous PC, only since I have started using my new all singing dancing PC.
    I have not tried TI 8 due to all the issues reported on the forum. Apart from the slow image making from F11/Boot CD TI 7 works fine so I will leave it alone I think!
    I will contact support and ask the question though.

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.