TIHome 10.0-Manage backup locations

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jim_Kirk, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim_Kirk

Jim_Kirk Registered Member

Hi,
    I am using TI Home 10.0 and am backing up my C diskto a second hard drive in a folder labeled Acronis Backup. I have used Backup Locations>Create Backup Locations to set the backup rules for this location. I set only 1 rule, maximum number of backups=5. Completing these steps results in a file, acronis_backup_place.cfg being placed in the folder Acronis Backup. When I use TI to edit backup locations it correctly shows that the cfg file contains the 1 rule I set.

So, I then selected Backup from TI tasks and went through the wizard which created a full backup of my C disk in the backup location Acronis Backup. No problems at all. The full backup I called C_drive.tib :D

Next I repeated the Backup wizard and this time selected Incremental backup [you can't do an incremental until you've performed a full backup]. I then scheduled the task to run daily at 9:00 AM. As expected it ran daily and produced incremental backups C_Drive2.tib, C_Drive3.tib, etc. to C_Drive7.tib. o_O

My questions is why doesn't the process stop after 5 backups and let the next backup replace the oldest one? Maybe someone could help in explaining what "manage backup locations" does and help me better understand how I can keep only 5 backups. Thanks.

2. Jim_Kirk

Jim_Kirk Registered Member

Well, after some more research on this forum I think I found out why my manage backup location procedure is not operating properly. Here's what I found in another post:

"If you use Managed Backup Locations in ATI10, it can control the backup directory by any or all of the following, number of full backups, cumulative size of files, age of files. To use this feature you must create a Managed Backup Location and when you do the backup, you must specify a destination from the Backup Locations item on the tree in the left window (the window where one selects the target directory)."

I'll give this procedure a try because when I originally selected the backup location I specified the folder directly and did not use the location listed under "Backup Locations."

Looks like the problem is solved-maybe this will help someone else.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, jsut citing the directory off of the tree won't allow the Auto managanement to function.

Also, I think the limit on the number of files will apply to the full image files only, and not the diffs and incs associated with a full backup. When you set up an task to do automatic backups, select inc or diff instead of full -- you will then be able to set the number of incs/diffs before ATI does another full backup - and it will do it automatically. That's easier than making two tasks and lets the inc count be automatic.

It's a little confusing at first but once you get the hang of it. . . ;-)

good luck,
    sh

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

shieber,
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing on the limit on number of backups is that it does apply to the diffs and incs. For example if you set the limit to three backups, and set up a task to create a new full backup after three incs, TI will start consolidating incremental backups to keep the total files (including incs) at three. At no point do you end up with three full backups with their incrementals. If your system is not counting diffs and incs towards the limit I would very much like to know.

Thanks, CF

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CatFan432 and shieber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you are right. The "maximum number of backups" applies to both full and incremental/differential backup archives stored in Backup Location.

shieber, if you have experienced the behavior differs from the one described by CatFan432, please describe your step-by-step actions that lead you to this situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

I've been looking under tools...where do you find the default setting for maximum number of backupso_O??

Bob

7. pwstreet

pwstreet Registered Member

Please refer to my posts in the thread "How to handle backup disk full?" from yesterday for a description of this exact problem that I am also having. Also still waiting for a response.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bobmitch,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the "maximum number of backups" as well as other backup rules (maximum number of backups and maximum storage period for the archives) applies to the new feature of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, Backup Location. Please refer to chapter 3.5 "Acronis backup locations" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide to find more information about Backup Locations and chapter 7. "Backup location management" for the instructions on how to create and manage Backup Location.

I would also recommend that you have a look at this thread <delete inkremental Backups after a defined time> to find more information about the Backup Location.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.