TIH11: Backup of Applications

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PeterPann, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterPann

PeterPann Registered Member

When selecting to backup applications, what will be backed up: Only the program folder, or the related Registry settings, or the related data folder in the user directory? How does TIH11 detect which data are related to an application? In the good old-fashioned times everything which was logically related to an application was placed in a single directory - in those ancient times backup and restore was very easy ...

For example, FireFox 2: I have a lot of plugins installed in FireFox which I don't want to manually have to reinstall after a disaster. So what will be backed up in FireFox?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

In these modern times the easiest way to secure your programs, settings etc is to create backup images of the whole of your OS and applications partition. I do not backup application settings separately as a full backup works for me.

Xpilot

3. PeterPann

I do also mainly full partition backups, but there ARE reasons for application backups. For example, in the next days I have to install a new motherboard, new CPU, new graphic card in my computer, and probably I will have to reinstall Windows. So a working application backup would help me a lot to shorten the system rebuild process. In this case a partition backup is useless.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you have to reinstall Windows you will have to reinstall your applications. I do not think that the applications settings backup will actually do a reinstall to a new OS.

There are ways to change a mother board etc without a full install of Windows and all that goes with that. These mainly use a repair install of Windows rather than a complete reinstall.

Somewhere I have links to detailed procedures and if I have not deleted them I will post them later.

Lunch calls Xpilot

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

6. PeterPann

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Thanks for the belated information. Never the less I am pretty sure that the applications setting backup will not provide a working application in your new installation.

A"Google" produces plenty of advice as to how to proceed to install an existing Vista installation to a new mother board.I would be very surprised if there are not some useful articles in the Microsoft knowledge base. Even though lots has changed the general principles still apply.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.