TIH v11 Can't Recover SATA Drives ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wfs, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wfs

wfs Registered Member

Hi All,
    today my system wouldn't boot - so I tried to use the v11 rescue disk to do a restore. But to my surprise, it couldn't detect any of my SATA drives. It could 'see' my USB drives, which I use for other backups etc, but not my 'main' drives.

On reading the comments for creating the rescue disk it claims to include drivers for USB and SCSI - NO MENTION OF SATA....

Has anyone else figured out how to restore a SATA drive ?

MB = Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev 1.0

Thanks

ps - I ended up using XP recovery. Running checkdisk got XP to load... (but it's still having a few problems...)

2. stbi

stbi Registered Member

Are you perhaps using a RAID? If so, perhaps the necessary RAID drivers aren't on the rescue CD.

I'm not able to use the rescue CD at all - I only get an error message "Unable to load Linux kernel", so I had to create a BartPE boot CD with the ATI plugin. This way ATI runs in a Windows environment and sees all the devices - provided that the necessary Windows drivers are also included in the CD.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you using a rescue CD made from the latest build of TI11? TI had problems with the P35 chipset but I thought it was fixed in the latest build of TI11.

The problem is not with SATA drives themselves but with the chipset controller for the drives. SATA drives have been supported since at least TI9 and perhaps even TI8.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The real problem is that you didn't try the rescue CD until you needed it. It fails on many pieces of hardware.

Of course, Acronis doesn't tell you to try the rescue CD immediately to find out whether it will work because then you'd be unhappy if it didn't. If you never need it, that would be unnecessary unhappiness. Acronis is just being kind.

5. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

@wfs
    annother suggestion:

Start with your rescue-cd.
    When the selection panel appears (the menu where you can choose 'DriveCleanser', etc) press F11.
    Insert following string (without quotes):
    "quiet acpi=off noapic"

then press ok and choose Ti fullversion.

(other members here recommend to download the "Ti11-safe-mode-part" from your Acronis-web-site. If it is available for Ti11...)

6. wfs

wfs Registered Member

Hi MrMorse,
    tried that - it still can't see the SATA drives.

Bill

True Image 2009 hangs on my machine, so I got a refund.

Next option is either Ghost or NovaStore.

7. wfs

wfs Registered Member

Yes - I am guilty of that. But I have my important data stored on 2 external USB drives. Daily backups of 'my data' to drive USB-1, then once a week I copy the Friday backup to drive USB-2.

I just wanted to use Acronis to do an OS restore if need be. So until I come up with a failsafe backup/restore mechanism - in the event of an OS failure, I'll just have to do a reinstall.

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Actually, I don't think you're guilty. I think Acronis should be telling everyone loudly to test the rescue CD as soon as they make one to avoid the annoyance that you are experiencing.

It's not all that hard to make a VistaPE or BartPE boot disk with TI 2009 on it. That disk will boot your system into a Windows environment instead of the Linux environment of the standard TI rescue CD. Then your SATA drives should be recognized, and you should be able to do the restore that you expected.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wfs,

Contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat

Describe the issue and we will be glad to provide you the latest ISO image of Acronis True Image 11 Home bootable which will solve the issue with SATA detection.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.